Ebay Removing Medals and Ribbons

oldtimecollector

oldtimecollector

I entered some ribbons on Ebay on Sunday and shortly there after they were removed. These were the typical WWII common ribbons. The email indicated that all government issued medals and ribbons are not allowed on Ebay. Here's the reference that was with the email.

Government documents, IDs, and licenses policy Can I sell a government-issued medal?

No, we don't allow listings for government-issued medals or their certificates. This includes the Air Force Cross, Congressional Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross, Purple Heart, or Silver Star. This also applies to a medal's associated buttons, ribbons, or rosettes.

I called because I have been selling medals and ribbons on Ebay for years without a problem unless it was a Purple Heart ribbon. I called, and I was told ALL Government issued medals and ribbons are against Ebay policy. I said there are a ton of medals and ribbons on Ebay and I have also had them on Ebay for years without a problem. She said, well we are taking the medals and ribbons off as we can.

I still wasn't happy because I thought about it and I thought this must be a mistake. So I called again today, and I was told the same thing. I said then why do you have a category for medals and ribbons. She indicated that they were going to have to remove the category. So I took all of the 20 ribbons that I had entered off of Ebay and put them on my website.

Have any of you encountered this before?

I've run into the same twisted logic concerning ebay's posting policies. Ebay is a Political Correct organization.

I just moved on to other sites that take a more "common-sense" approach for the enthusiast of the military collecting community.

It's a sad result of the "feel-good" legislation mentality we have all experience coming down the road for years.

oldtimecollector

I told a friend of mine that military collectors would be going to other sites with all of Ebay's restricted policies. According to Ebay, the government told Ebay that they couldn't sell government-issued medals and ribbons.

This topic comes up frequently, a search of the forum will yield countless threads.

Remember that eBay CS reps are generally reading from scripts and notes and dont actually understand the true legalities behind these items, as eBay deals in almost everything item wise. They only know what their company had prohibited, and as private company, they can choose to do so.

Most medals and ribbons make it through, some get pulled. eBay often relies on the user community to report prohibited items. I bet if you reposted them theyd go to completion.

Most collectors and sellers will continue to use the site and I dont foresee a mass migration anywhere else (there really isnt anywhere else with the global reach).

Reminder for all: Lets keep the politics out of the topic or it will be heavily moderated.

Here we go again. Give these idiots a month or so, and folks will be allowed to list them again on the site with no problems. We have beat this dead horse so often over the years it should be just dust by now. My 2 cents from the cheap seats.

When you tell eBay other people are selling it with no problem, their trademark response is "Worry about yourself, we'll take care of them" I have bought several medals on eBay with no problem. I wouldn't know why they would change it.

Is a medal or ribbon purchased from Medals of America or some other commercial vendor "government issued"? How can they tell the difference?

I realize this does not help with issued medals but it shows the absurdity of the policy.

Is ebay prohibiting any authentic Government medal manufactured under a U.S. government contract—or just the ones that have been awarded to a actual military recipient along with it's official award certificate?

It's my understanding that any American contracted manufacturer of military decorations can legally sell these military medals to the public.

The government allows them to to this, with the Medal of Honor (Air Force, Army, Navy) being the only exception.

BILL THE PATCH

I was trolling eBay the other day under groups and couldn't believe all the medals that we're on , PH, SS,etc etc. I actually thought their policies changed.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My experience is that ebay only enforces their policy if someone reports it.

There will always be an agitator in the ebay crowed, who for some don't agree with anything relating to military. It's call the PC whiners, someone is always belly-aching with this crowd of people.

I got a time out a few weeks ago for trying to sell a Purple Heart and Silver Star as a group. When I called ebay and spoke to their rep. he told me the rules etc...so then I told him that I had just purchased the medals on ebay less than a month ago and gave him the listing numbers. He was a bit tongue tied and gave me the usual story that meant nothing. So I asked him if I was eligible to get my money back from the sellers since the sale was illegal and that was the end of that story.

What were the ribbon bars you had listed? The people at eBay have no idea what’s what... They think the DFC ribbon bar is the Silver Star because of similar colors... So they often bounce that one!

Also have you ever noticed they don’t touch the big $$$ ones… There’s a Navy Cross grouping up right now they won’t touch that because it’s over $1000! They want that 10%!

Also I’ve noticed from being told this and experiencing it once, a lot more people are sending negative PM’s to sellers chewing them out for listing military stuff… Most come from people claiming to be veterans and saying you shouldn’t be selling medals… Trying to spook sellers and report them because of their own personal feelings...

Very Un-American if you ask me!!

Yeah, this was an arbitrary action. The guy you talked to obviously didn't know what the hell he was talking about. This happens more than you know. A couple months ago, there was a message sent out to sellers by E-Bay saying that all items that had a US military trademark had to be pulled. This was a shocker, because that is a grenade when selling insignia. It was a result of a US Navy letter sent to E-Bay threatening a lawsuit if they didn't pull "counterfeit" merchandise with navy insignia on it, they would sue. This was part of a campaign to recapitalize on merchandise. The law office representing the Navy pushed too hard and there was a backlash when thousands of retailers, contacted the US Navy direct about what constituted a counterfeit item. Wisely, they dropped the whole thing, but it no doubt left E-Bay rattled. I highly doubt that any new policy was instituted.

-Ski

p.s. Don't use the word "Velcro" on your listings. It is now hook and pile fasteners. Just a bit of advice. ;)

Instinct says this is simply an over-zealous employee automatron, trying to make a proverbial name for themselves; logic be damned.

I seriously doubt that it will be an issue long-term.

"...there's nothing more pathetic than a McDonald's manager on a power trip."

When push comes to shove...old Ebay will always go for the money first. The whinny minority seems to always dictate to the majority.

ebay has become a cess pool over the past several years-- nothing like it was when I first got onto it in 02. lots of good stuff back then and now a circus of junk mixed in with the good-- way off the wall prices-- high fees.

Before I got my timeout from ebay I also got an email from a supposed do gooder telling me he was a Nam vet and told me I could not sell a Purple Heart because of the stolen valor act....well I explained to him that I was also a Nam vet and what the stolen valor act was about but I still say he was the one that turned me in for selling one and a Silver Star.

Before I got my timeout from ebay I also got an email from a supposed do gooder telling me he was a Nam vet and told me I could not sell a Purple Heart because of the stolen valor act....well I explained to him that I was also a Nam vet and what the stolen valor act was about but I still say he was the one that turned me in for selling one and a Silver Star.

Personally I would like to know who this person was? What is their eBay name? If you dont want to post it publicly, send me a PM. Thanks.

I had a purple heart listed and someone contacted me with almost the exact same story (regarding being a veteran and that I was violating the Stolen Valor Act). He told me he had reported me and that I shouldn't be "profiting" on medals - to which I told him I was selling it for less than I paid for it, so "profit" isn't really involved. The guy who contacted me has the ebay ID of jpdls3979 ebay says he's from Gordon, Wisconsin.