Help with lead filled 10th Cav cap badge find at flea market

I picked this up at the flea market last weekend. I thought it was probably an early post Civil War 10th Cavalry Buffalo Soldier cap badge. However the more I got looking at its construction with the lead filled backing I was wondering if this might be an even earlier Civil War piece as I understand there were a number of different 10th Calvary Regiments (Ohio, Texas & Virginia) during this time period. Something I noticed about this piece was a thin horizontal bar at the bottom where it would appear there was at one time a dangling specific troop letter.

post-1389-0-09275400-1536683352_thumb.jpg

I think Will M. has the right period. A few Indian War period cap insignia show up modified with lead backs and pins. This seems to be a collar badge. Dimensions would help. Definitely not CW or earlier though.

The 1896-1905 would be solid brass and have a different pin back and lower letter attachment. I think it's the pre-1896 type. The hollow stamped badges had their reverses filled and pins added by soldier's to replace the wire loop attaching devices that were standard.

The 1896-1905 would be solid brass and have a different pin back and lower letter attachment. I think it's the pre-1896 type. The hollow stamped badges had their reverses filled and pins added by soldier's to replace the wire loop attaching devices that were standard.

Thanks for this information. I have this other 10th Cav badge that I picked up at a different flea market a couple of weekends ago. It is a solid metal piece and am assuming the 1896 - 1905 period piece.

post-1389-0-58086900-1536722735_thumb.jpg

The last one with the screw back fastener is the 1896 pattern cap badge for the forage cap. The lead-filled example is an 1876 pattern.

Many thanks for the period identification.