Air Corp 2 item grouping

Jeffthebutcher

Jeffthebutcher

Hi everyone,

I picked this up several months ago. A two item grouping for M SGT Smith, Air Medal and a letter the the mans wife. I have not found any on him as of yet but Hope you enjoy!

Thanks

Jeff

post-162699-0-03099200-1536596532_thumb.jpeg

post-162699-0-44732100-1536596546_thumb.jpeg

Headquarters Squadron, 19th Bomber Group, Heavy

28 Jun 1942 Plot N Row 1 Grave 26 Manila American Cemetery Manila, Philippines

Shows him as a CWO who DNB (so no PH).

This has his CWO serial number:

smithgrave.jpeg

His unit ferried B-17's from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Clark Field.

clark1.jpeg

clark2.jpeg

OCTOBER 17, 1941

HEADQUARTERS 19th BOMBARDMENT GROUP (Heavy)

Air Force Combat Command (AFCC), Kirtland Field - ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO

AIR ECHELON - SPECIAL ORDER NO. 1.

Pursuant to authority contained in letter War Department File AG 370.5 (9-17-41) MC-C-M, Subject:Movement of Air Corps and Air Corps Service Units to Clark Field Philippine Islands dated September 18, 1941 and Letter WD File AG 370.5 (10-7-41) MC-C-M, Subject:Movement of Air Corps Units dated October 9, 1941, and 2nd Indorsement:Headquarters 4th Air Force, Riverside, California dated October 13, 1941, the following named personnel will proceed by military aircraft on or about October 17, 1941, from Albuquerque, New Mexico, via prescribed air route to destination in the Pacific Theatre, for permanent change of station:

Jeffthebutcher

Very interesting. Thank you Bob! I am just going to have to keep digging. What amazes me is how you got so much more info then I did in such a short time. Still learning where and how to find out the personal information.

Thanks

Jeff

Very interesting. Thank you Bob! I am just going to have to keep digging. What amazes me is how you got so much more info then I did in such a short time. Still learning where and how to find out the personal information.

Thanks

Jeff

I use several paid services including ancestry.com, fold3.com, newspapers.com, so on. A lot of digging has to do with name variants: Charles K Smith is also "Smith, Charles K," "CK Smith," "WO Smith," etc.

He is officially listed as Killed in Action (this serial number matches his headstone application). Was he a POW?

attachicon.gifkia.jpeg

Weird...This is what I was referencing, the Texas list. The KIA reference is on the New Mexico list?

post-5941-0-52558400-1536608746_thumb.jpg

I'm not seeing him listed as POW on NARA.

Resolution as to status of death may require obtaining his IDPF - Individual Death Personnel File from National Archives - St. Louis. Nice medal and history. Bobgee