ebay seller

usmce4

With today's atmosphere of political correctness, maybe it's not proper to call this seller an idiot, so I'll just say maybe he thinks I'm an idiot.

Guy puts a knife on for $150. I PM and ask if he has a BIN price in mind. He responds "What will you offer". I point out others of higher quality that have sold for $200 and say I'm willing to match the $200.

(simply because I'm bored and haven't bought anything on ebay since May 5th, except the two stiffs I posted here last week)

The idiot replies: If it doesn't sell at the auction price you can have it at your offer.

I rechecked my ebay profile and it doesn't say "stupid" anywhere in it.

Art

Well I guess I’m the odd man out because I don’t see the problem. The seller could have said NO outright and then you would have been completely out of luck. At least he gives you a chance if the knife doesn’t sell and, you could possibly get it for less than you offered if the auction runs it's course. I wonder how you might see this if you were the seller.

I’ve sold things on eBay and had buyers offer 3 or 4 times what an item was worth just to be sure they got it and ask me to close the auction early. When I decline their offer and the item sells for far less than they initially offered, and then ask for a buck ninety eight shipping, they bitch. I wouldn’t sell the item for more than I thought it was worth because I didn’t want to gouge the guy. You made the offer of $200 so apparently the item is worth that for you?

I know there are a lot of things to criticize about eBay but I really think this seller was gracious enough had it been me asking the question.

Just my 2 cents!

Well I guess I’m the odd man out because I don’t see the problem. The seller could have said NO outright and then you would have been completely out of luck. At least he gives you a chance if the knife doesn’t sell and, you could possibly get it for less than you offered if the auction runs it's course. I wonder how you might see this if you were the seller.

I’ve sold things on eBay and had buyers offer 3 or 4 times what an item was worth just to be sure they got it and ask me to close the auction early. When I decline their offer and the item sells for far less than they initially offered, and then ask for a buck ninety eight shipping, they bitch. I wouldn’t sell the item for more than I thought it was worth because I didn’t want to gouge the guy. You made the offer of $200 so apparently the item is worth that for you?

I know there are a lot of things to criticize about eBay but I really think this seller was gracious enough had it been me asking the question.

Just my 2 cents!

Perhaps I didn't explain myself correctly. Let me try again

I offered $200

The opening Bid is $150

He said if it does not get any bids for $150 I could have it for the $200 I offered

Sometimes, I explain things in too complicated a manner - forgive me

Art

Then why not just bid on it?

It’s interesting to see people gripe about getting beat by buyers doing back-door deals on eB@y auctions, while we’re doing back-door deals.

Then why not just bid on it?

It’s interesting to see people gripe about getting beat by buyers doing back-door deals on eB@y auctions, while we’re doing back-door deals.

Because, Blacksmith,

1) I was not "griping" I was mentioning something that struck me funny

2) I am not "some people", as you know, I have a name, it is Art

3) I think it will go for more than $200 so I tried offering him a quick sale, which has worked many times in the past.

Wtthout dissecting and armchair quarterbacking the subject death, the point I was making was it struck me odd for a dealer to say "If it doesn't sell for $150, I'll take your offer of $200"

Should further clarification be needed, please lets do so via PM, silly to waste space on this.

Art

I dont think its armchair QB to respond to a topic you posted on an open forum. Im entitled to my opinion. If you dont like it, dont post - really that simple.

Theres nothing in your thread so abstract that its lost on me - I understood the point you were making.

Im simply saying, as a community, we post topics of frustration that sellers end auctions for back-door deals. We are the same community, as a whole, making the deals.

And on the topic of PMs, you feel free to do that next time as well.

Thanks Art.

Because, Blacksmith,

1) I was not "griping" I was mentioning something that struck me funny

2) I am not "some people", as you know, I have a name, it is Art

3) I think it will go for more than $200 so I tried offering him a quick sale, which has worked many times in the past.

Wtthout dissecting and armchair quarterbacking the subject death, the point I was making was it struck me odd for a dealer to say "If it doesn't sell for $150, I'll take your offer of $200"

Should further clarification be needed, please lets do so via PM, silly to waste space on this.

Art

And on the topic of PMs, you feel free to do that next time as well.

The next time I have something I feel requires your hindsight criticism I will do that

Art

Screamingeagles101

Hey what?! You can’t do back door offers on eBay!! That’s morally wrong! You might have hurt someone else’s feelings by not allowing them a chance to win! I am flabbergasted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO the seller was, in a roundabout way, saying he preferred not to take a BIN offer. So long as there are no bids on an item, making an inquiry if the seller would accept a BIN is fair game. However, trying to get the seller to either pull the item if there are already bids on it, and/or consummate the transaction offline is not only a Ebay violation, but a tactic only someone without scruples would do and unfortunately such characters seem to abound.

If his reserve was $250, your offer of $200 may have seemed a lowball he considered. The $150 starting bid to illicit any interest at all.

This is no different really than someone posting a silly Buy It Now price but posting best offer options.

It may get relisted many times and not sold even if there is a single bid of $150, due to a higher reserve.

Cheers

GC

so dude you are calling me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watch who you bitch about because they might be a member of this forum like ME

so dude you are calling me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watch who you bitch about because they might be a member of this forum like ME

I'm so glad you didn't get the knife - by the way it sold for 286 know it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!