Dog tag find at flea market

Tonomachi

I don't know a whole lot about dog tags but these don't have the notch so I'm assuming post war. I picked them up because I have never seen LATTER DAY SAINT on a dog tag before. I was wondering what "ER" in front of the 8 digit number stood for?

post-1389-0-44692500-1536359159_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-77546400-1536359200.jpg

Yes tag is post war. Late 50’s early 60’s. He was a WWII vet based on serial number. ER stands for enlisted reserve.

Many thanks for this information.

In more modern times, I have seen some crazy things on dog tags worn by soldiers, especially when it comes to stated religion. I had a soldier who transferred to my unit from the infantry whose religion was listed as "pedestrian." I had another soldier who had "Satan Worshiper" on his. This was a couple of decades ago, so that got him a visit from the chaplain. He said he didn't believe in God, so he just put something on there that would cause a stir. Today, I'm sure nobody would look twice at that. There are even Satanic symbols on military headstones.

Other oddball things that I've found include "batpist" a misspelling of Baptist, a "1st Christian" instead of a simple "Christian" label (she went to the 1st Christian Church in her town), a tag that read "LADDER Day Saint," a "Druid," one "Mickey Mouse Cult," and one salute to the "Blue Oyster Cult."

Allan

• 4 months later...
mylittlebirdie

He was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Most people call us Mormons, but that isnt our proper name. Thats really cool to see it on a dog tag! Thanks for sharing it with us!

When i went to boot camp in the Navy one guy belonged to "The Guardian of the Stone" religion. The medic who was taking our info laughed and asked if he was a Satanist...well we never saw that medic again....

• 3 months later...

When i went to boot camp in the Navy one guy belonged to "The Guardian of the Stone" religion. The medic who was taking our info laughed and asked if he was a Satanist...well we never saw that medic again....

Medic??

You mean CORPSMAN? ;)

Ugh I've been hanging out with you army guys too long yes corpsman not medic. Lol

Medic??

You mean CORPSMAN? ;)