1st pattern hbt cover real or repro?

Calcutta

So I bought this Vietnam era helmet with a cover on a gut feeling but also a few beers deep scrolling eBay. It looks ok to me comparing to my 1953 blue anchor cover helmet but I’m still learning and kinda unsure.Any opinions on this helmet cover being legit or fake would be greatly appreciated. If it’s fake atleast it’s a learning lesson.

Will

6df0c5797e65b88645b8509bb00442f1.jpga1e3e173cb10ebfef78ead67591d37c2.jpg6df0c5797e65b88645b8509bb00442f1.jpge1e15aebe5ddfcd4344b6746c578b5ab.jpgcae0d758be4924c371e6f4d8a6d0a813.jpg2ef78e02ac63d6d5c52f629fb5272d10.jpg56251acd3fa7962fc133736b0da0e266.jpg18286219a9f50bcd84224a61012010c1.jpg the 1953 blue anchor is on the right.

e22dc205370e82efc222f96ec9db92e4.jpgagain the blue anchor is on the right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reproduction, looks like an At The Front one to me. The beach side trim stitching should be sawtooth style, would looks similar to this /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

-Steven

Reproduction, looks like an At The Front one to me. The beach side trim stitching should be sawtooth style, would looks similar to this /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

-Steven

I concur with this. ATF. Though the 1953 blue anchor covers that I'm aware of don't have the "sawtooth" beach side stitching.

I appreciate all your input guys. It wasn’t a terrible loss but definitely learned to look for that. I thought the thread looked pretty shiny/new too. The fabric feels just like the blue anchor and my early Mitchell covers. I’ve never held a repro cover in hand so I’ll be using this as a teaching aid for staying clear of another. Thanks fellas!

Will

These ones have been around for a while, they are the first style of fakes to include the chain stitching and I suspect that's why they still manage to fool some collectors and forum members. Fortunately there's another obvious error that gives them away at first glance (Something the fakers likely based off the Blue Anchor covers which is not correct for the WWII examples) and they took the easier route trying to reproduce the so called 'first pattern' covers. It could be ATF makes chain stitched covers now as well, but they originally came from Japan if I remember correctly.

There are many people who repo frog camo, so keeping this one on hand won't be as useful as getting access to some confirmed originals for comparison. Make sure you read some of the long threads on this forum about USMC covers, there's a lot of information out there now and some things you will need to make your own decisions about (For example the slit / non slit debate).

Regards,

-Steve

Thank you again for everyone’s thoughts. Good points for me to learn from and move on from here.