Mega U.S. Submarine Losses Site

patches

Here's an example on how to use site if you not following.

Albacore (SS-218)

http://www.oneternalpatrol.com/uss-albacore-218-loss.htm

When you scroll down you'll see Click here for complete and accurate listing of men lost on USS Albacore

This opens another page where the crews name and individual photo will be clickable to be seen, this is done on all boots to include the POW Losses link.

I've explored that site before, excellent resource with some awesome info an photos

They did an incredible job in tracking down the portraits of most of the sailor killed didn't they, I don't think i ever seen a more detailed compiling of this sort in any Unit Rosters that might be online, not even the Vietnam Virtual Wall.

Yea I absolutely agree, someone put a lot time an effort into that page, sources and links as well. Treasure trove of info and being able to put faces to each submarine

It is a wealth of information and great site. A lot of the photos and information is from a ww2 Sub vet named Paul W Wittmar. A tireless researcher he compiled over 3600 names and information on 52 boats lost during the war.In 2007 the NPRC in St. Louis open up records to the public and Paul was there on the first day. He co authored a book with Charles Hinman director of the USS Bowfin museum. I had the honor of meeting him several times at the archives. Relatives and other researcher provide information and photos of sailor as well.

Mark

Welp looks like there's three new books I'm going to have to pick up

Spyron

Combat history of the USS Tinosa

Anthology of WW2 US submarines

Mark, thank you for sharing that info about Paul Wittmer and Charles Hinman

Anyone whose been on Groton Sub Base knows that the streets are named after submarines we've lost

Being able to connect faces to those names is a direct result of Paul Wittmer and Charles Hinmans time and efforts, I'm grateful for that.

I've browsed that site many times and even provided a couple of photos that he was missing of men lost on the USS Amberjack. I communicated with Charles via email and he was very excited to update the missing photos. He definitely put a lot of time and effort into creating that website and as a submariner I appreciate his work.

I've browsed that site many times and even provided a couple of photos that he was missing of men lost on the USS Amberjack. I communicated with Charles via email and he was very excited to update the missing photos. He definitely put a lot of time and effort into creating that website and as a submariner I appreciate his work.

Good for you, that's what it's all about. The administrators of the site seem to stay on the ball.