Navy Purple Heart Award Cards at the National Archives

Dave

All:

I was searching for something else, and happened across the description for the following series at the National Archives in College Park. Has anyone seen these before? Some of them sound really fascinating, like the Purple Hearts for WW1 and the Spanish American War and those for Korea.

If i was closer to DC, I'd pop up there to see what's in the series, but alas, I'm not. Hopefully I can make a trip up before the end of the year, but in the meantime, I'd be curious if anyone has been able to see or scan these before.

Thanks!

Dave

Description:

Introduction

This collection consists of 3x5 and 4x6 index cards from the Casualty Assistance Branch of the Bureau of Personnel. They were created as part of the decision-making process in the awarding of Purple Heart medals to Navy personnel. This collection only contains cards for Purple Heart medals awarded to persons who served in the U.S. Navy. The vast majority of the cards date from World War II, though some date as far back as the Spanish-American War and there is a small group from the Korean War era.

Each card lists the individual's name, rank or rate, and service number. Other information found on the cards includes the date on which the individual was killed, wounded, or went missing and was presumed dead; the ship or station where they were serving at the time; the name and address of their next-of-kin; and the date on which the award was sent. In some cases, an individual was declared ineligible to receive the award and this was noted on their card.

Scope and Content Note

There are two series in this collection. Series I, Officers, contains 10 boxes of 3x5 index cards. Most date from World War II, but some record medals awarded to casualties of World War I and the Spanish-American War. The cards are arranged alphabetically by the individual's last name. Additionally, there is a small subseries of Korean War casualties in Box 10. This subseries is also arranged alphabetically.

In Series II, Enlisted, are 61 boxes of 4x6 index cards. All of these cards date from World War II, and describe casualties among enlisted personnel. There are two subseries, the first identifying those men wounded in action and the second those who were killed or went missing and were presumed dead. Both subseries are arranged alphabetically.

https://www.history.navy.mil/content/history/nhhc/research/archives/research-guides-and-finding-aids/bureau-of-personnel/purple-heart-records-1898-1950s.html

Hi Dave

I have seen them before. I have copies of some. They used to be out at the Navy Yard until they transferred them to College Park.

A-B don't exist because a staffer shredded them until they were stopped. C-Z exist.

I have not tried to access them since they ended up at college park.

Kurt

As I recall, the cards are in three sets: officers (pink cards) , enlisted KiAs, and enlisted wounded (both white cards). The back of an officer's card has medal transmittal dates, enlisted cards usually have all information on the front.

Those are fascinating, thanks Adam! Kurt, I now remember the story you told me about the shredding...ouch!

Looks like a good series to look up the next time I'm there!