GI'S BRINGBACKS - SS OFFICER'S CLOSET

Hi All,

Neat lot of souvenirs brought back by a local veteran. T/4 K O T H E brought home some interesting things, on one of his capture papers is a unit - 336th Engineers, A Co. I believe this was a D-Day unit but detail and rosters are hard to find. Some of the items were stored inside - good, some were stored in a shed - bad, very bad. I'm guessing he came across an SS officer's closet somewhere along the way as there was a "1st pattern" chained SS dagger with mint unmarked blade - stored inside! In the shed were 2 SS officer belts and buckle - one leather, one brocade, lucky the buckles were aluminum, the belts suffered a bit. Also in the shed was a SS officer sword hanger - early type rusted with a nice big crescent shaped bite out of the material. A German uniform was stored out there too, only a few buttons remained of it. In shed were also 2 metal helmets, no decal and Luft, a destroyed pith helmet, 2 poor German canteens, his canteen, K98 cleaning kit, Wehrmacht belt and buckle. Inside house were also a US paratrooper knife, Case knife, German boot knife, armband, box of his papers, patches, dog tag, ID bracelet, ribbons, photo with captured German truck, etc. Here's some pics:

-Rob

post-19820-0-58472900-1536161703_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-91216300-1536161749_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-24620000-1536161775_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-32596800-1536161797_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-05135300-1536161835_thumb.jpg

Love the gas mask hose-silenced dog tags! In addition to the bring-backs of course!

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

Great group of stuff in any condition!

Mr.JERRY

My new book on the History of the US Service Flag is available now- contact me directly for a signed copy

https://www.elmgrovepublishing.com/in-the-service-of-our-country

Collector of WWI & WWII Home Front Flags, Unit Flags & Guidons, US & German helmets, insignia, uniforms, medals,

Women's Military Uniforms, Wisconsin Vocational School made Fighting Knives.

Military Collectibles Shop Owner & Dealer in everything else~!

Check out our Facebook page for updates and the latest Shop news!:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-Collectibles-Shop/171226792906875
Visit our website (and visit our shop if you are ever near Milwaukee, WI USA)
http://www.militarycollectorsHQ.com

See what Mr.Jerry has on eBay this week:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mr.jerry/m.html?_ipg=200&_sop=1&_rdc=1

I'll take it! Where do I send my $100?

Seriously, nice find!

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

Sad to see items that a vet brought back have faded with time. There's a metaphor there somewhere...

The truck in the photo is a Steyr 1500 with the wooden Einheits cab. The ephemera and dog tags might not be the most valuable but for me they are the most interesting.

The Pith helmet might be salvageable but would take a brave person to try and soak it and then reshape it.

WW2 Battlefield Relics Virtual Museum:

Nice find

In post # 3 picture #2 what is listed on the capture paper?

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Great finds. Would like to see the remnants of the German uniform even if it is just buttons remaining..

The pith helmet could be reshaped a little and restored a little, would take a little effort but it could stand a chance at being semi-presentable.... Too bad these items were stored outside for so long. I'm sure the veteran who brought them back never thought that 70's years later people would be interested in them..

A great grouping though...

It validates that these items are still coming out of homes, sheds, barns, whatever...

Leigh

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

He had a number of capture papers, I believe the one in the picture was for a Luger and a tripod. Others were for more items that weren't there and some that were. Another just said German knife, sun helmet, camera, 2 P38s...... he liked souvenirs. There was also a Case Sportsman knife in with the others, possibly carried by him. I'll have to look for the uniform buttons. The liners were actually kind of ok in the helmets, one had a bad animal stain (luftwaffe), the other cleaned up well as did the helmet - it was a no decal m42.

-Rob

post-19820-0-82994500-1536264914_thumb.jpg

post-19820-0-74119800-1536264941_thumb.jpg

Yah, thats a great group ! Would love to see a photo of the blade of the chained SS. The SS Officer belt buckles are very rare to include the SS officer sword hanger are rare items as well and the rest of the group is just gravy! Congrats on your score.

Kurt

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The blade is stellar! That and the buckles are great. I have found many groups over the years from veterans when I was tracking them down hot and heavy and storage had definitely had a major impact on many German items I found but have only really found a handful of SS items in veteranś groupings over the years and you did well on this one!! Congrats again.

Kurt

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Great Find on Buckles and dagger

In Memory of Air Corps Technical Sergeant Carl F. Durfee. He died of wounds on 30 December 1944 while serving in the South Pacific. You are not forgotten.

ASMIC member

American Legion member

US Air Force & Air National Guard TAC - MAC

JOHN N. DANIELS ---152nd COMPANY C New York State Infantry--- captured 1864 survivor of Andersonville ---- Great-Great-Great Uncle

Captain Robert L. Hosler, 522nd Fighter/Bomber Sq. 12th Army Air Corp. World War Two P47 Pilot - 1 DFC- 5 Air Medal & 0ne Purple Heart---Uncle

1st Sgt Ann Barry, US Army Air Corp WAC World War Two --ETO --- Aunt

Sgt Willam M. Barry, USMC----Pacific World War Two--Father

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Really nice find! A lot of interesting history here!

Hunt

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1957-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-WW2 Uniforms (all branches and services)

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

-7th Infantry Division Items

-WW2 Photos and Letters (all branches, theaters, services, etc)

^^ PM ME!!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

• 10 months later...