Primacord spools

ironsights66

Hello, I was reading Ch 4 of Spearheading D-Day by Johnathan Gawn and noticed that 100 ft rolls of detonating cord were hanging from the GI's gear. Does anyone have any information about the actual wooden spool the cord was on, such as its dimensions and construction? Also, is the wooden reel the guy on the left has something standardized or did they "engineer" it themselves? I'd love to have an example but I'm not going to hold my breath on waiting for an original to pop up on ebay.

post-180172-0-69772200-1536104996.jpg

Interesting picture--thanks for posting. From the picture, those reels looks like something that came with or was used with the Bangalore torpedo, but I couldn't find anything researching it. They look smaller than any roll of det cord that I've seen or used. When you find it, please post.

This is part of the description of "Cord, Detonating (Primacord)" in TM 9-1904, Ammunition Inspection Guide, 2 March 1944.

"It is furnished in 100-foot lengths on wooden spools 7 1/4 inches long by 3 3/4 inches in diameter.

This is part of the description of "Cord, Detonating (Primacord)" in TM 9-1904, Ammunition Inspection Guide, 2 March 1944.

"It is furnished in 100-foot lengths on wooden spools 7 1/4 inches long by 3 3/4 inches in diameter.

That is incredibly helpful, would never have thought about looking at that TM. thank you

It's my go to Ammo guide. 900 plus pages of all the ammo from .22 to the largest size of aircraft bombs. Nice, drawings, photos and description of everything including shipping containers and how everything is marked. I may have it scanned and add it to my "disc for sale" collection if there is enough interest.

• 4 years later...