WWII Helmets with Nets

NamHelmet

Considering that after the war the majority of soldiers turned in their helmets, what is the likelihood any retained original nets? Would only bring back helmets still have them?

I'm curious also where you get authentic nets for the helmets in your collection...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

My navy helmet came home with its net. You can see the shadowing of where it has sat all its life.

I think its a real rarity to have an original net on a helmet that made it back home with the soldier/marine/sailor considering most nets broke, or where disgarded after the war.

- Dean

post-8861-0-74379000-1536097697_thumb.jpeg

Here is another from my collection with original period war time net.

- Dean

WOW

Those are gorgeous. So to confirm what you're saying, the only way the nets would be retained is if the vet brought it back?

Correct. WW2 helmets with a net would have been brought home by a veteran. A WW2 in-country used pot that made it's way back into inventory would have been stripped of everything eventually. If it remained in inventory long enough it would have received updated chinstraps, liners, and exterior paint. Lots of USGI equipment went to our allies immediately after the war, and some even went to former enemies. I strongly doubt a wartime applied net would have made it more than months at best, after hostilities.

WOW

Those are gorgeous. So to confirm what you're saying, the only way the nets would be retained is if the vet brought it back?

Thanks for the kind words on my lids -

Yes all netted helmets that Show honest wear would have been Vet bring backs for sure.

As for the life of a Net on a serving in theatre helmet, it would all depend on the amount of abuse it saw.

The navy net I have is thinning, worn, dirty, and heavily used. I would lean towards it being a Seabees helmet.

The marine raider Helmet and net have been camouflaged and painted over, this preserving the net underneath.

Its become brittle now with age -

Yours

- Dean

Dean, you have some amazing helmets.

Marty

Marty Thanyou for your kind words on my collection,

I see yours is growing to be just as wonderful

Yours

- Dean

I agree that nets would absolutely not survive if the veteran didn't bring it back themselves unless they laid untouched somewhere. Here's an original example that I have.

post-163344-0-66334000-1536162579_thumb.jpg

I agree that nets would absolutely not survive if the veteran didn't bring it back themselves unless they laid untouched somewhere. Here's an original example that I have.

IMG_1339.jpg

Loving that lid mate !!

a helmet with the net & scrim would only survive if the veteran didnt turn his helmet in

and they would have removed the netting / scrim for inspections after returning

the same reason a soldier would not leave his camo face paint on when he's no longer in the field and back in the barracks

they would clean and remove all mud from their gear , boots , when they are done, cleaned dried & serviceable