Three Vn Era USAF Patches I Can't ID

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

These are three US Air Force related patches I just bought in a large Vietnam era USAF patch collection.

The top one with Andy Capp and is Japanese made. Reminds me of a class type patch.

The SOMA GUN SHIP is Thai hand embroidered, and about the size for a boonie hat.

The last is also Thai made and has OLA 2 602D ACCURACY around it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob

usaf.jpg

Johnny Signor

the blue patch with plane and radar title stands for Operating location 2 (OLA) if that is 602 inupper right it could be a radar unit,not much help but the OLA is correct.

It's an Operating Location of the 602nd Tactical Air Control Group, which was headquartered at Bergstrom AFB, Austin, TX from the 1970s through the base closure in 1993. Early in that period, it had a Tactical Air Control Squadron (radar) and Tactical Air Control Center Squadron. Later, it absorbed an Air Support Operations Center Squadron and a Tactical Intelligence Squadron.

This appears to be from the earlier days, when the 602nd had operating locations for its mobile radars all over the place providing interim air defense coverage and surveillance coverage for other purposes (counter-drug ops).

vintageproductions

Jeff, thanks for the info. The construction of it looks mid-1960's, and like I said Thailand embroidered. Someone in the unit must have known someone in Thailand and had them made. Thanks again for the info.

Bob

All the USAF radar coverage in Southeast Asia (Vietnam and Thailand) was under the 505th Tactical Air Control Group at Tan Son Nhut. However, there were always special projects and small units in odd locations. Most of these folks were based in Thailand, although they may have actually been elsewhere (e.g., Laos) and many of them were TDY from other units, even from CONUS units.