Found a Marine in the Family...Looking for his Stuff

Brig

After having ancestry for a decade to research Marines, I finally broke down and started researching my own family. After over 800 members, I finally found what I was secretly hoping to find...a blood relative in the Marine Corps. Delbert H Eldred was with 2d Marines on Tarawa and was WIA. A distant cousin, but a blood relative, so kind of curious if any of his stuff is floating around the market.

If anyone has any of his stuff, please get in touch

Distant cousin, so not holding my breath, since I've learned more about that side of the family in 24 hours than I have in 30 years

Kurt Barickman

That name is familiar.......... I am not trying to be a tease either because you know my fanatical obsession with Tarawa. I feel I have seen something???

Kurt

That name is familiar.......... I am not trying to be a tease either because you know my fanatical obsession with Tarawa. I feel I have seen something???

Kurt

If so, the name isn't typed on the forum.

Interesting career off the Rolls...WIA Tarawa, in a casualty company for quite awhile after. Seems he decided to extend a furlough on his own authority and turned himself in two weeks late. But was allowed to return to duty at the Supply Depot until the war was over, so guess he didn't get throat punched too bad

Will have to pull his record and casualty card

normaninvasion

Brig, Dumb question: does he have any living relatives that you would be willing to contact? Long time ago, I contacted a relative from a genealogy site and we were able to sort out some family research.

Who knows , you may find out he was into early MC history and was collecting insignia and groupings back in the day. :)

USCapturephotos

I enjoyed reading this thread. Good luck with your search as your search has inspired me to dig a bit deeper. My great great grandfather, Joseph Stewart, was in the 12th New Jersey Vols. during the Civil War and I know a lot about him. What I would like to learn though is about his brother, George Stewart of the 1st NJ Cavalry and an M.O.H. winner. I know his story but have never seen a photo of him and keep hoping one surfaces some day.

Paul

Definitely a worthwhile venture. I have found two direct ancestors who fought in the Revolution (one who crossed the Delaware with George Washington), and a direct ancestor who was on Cavendish's expedition to circumvent the globe and defeat the Spanish Armada in 1566-68, 1 of 50 to survive. Very interesting stuff, gets very difficult to confirm that far back and most people are too lazy to, or get excited about an accomplishment of a suggested name and are hasty to add it to their tree

Gets better...just discovered Anne Hutchinson was my 11th great grandmother. Her tree has been traced stupid long, and of course I will confirm and not blindly plug in the blanks, but other descendants of Hutchinson include FDR and George Bush, as well as several other prominent individuals. I can't believe I didn't start a tree a decade ago when I subscribed to ancestry

Definitely a worthwhile venture. I have found two direct ancestors who fought in the Revolution (one who crossed the Delaware with George Washington), and a direct ancestor who was on Cavendish's expedition to circumvent the globe and defeat the Spanish Armada in 1566-68, 1 of 50 to survive. Very interesting stuff, gets very difficult to confirm that far back and most people are too lazy to, or get excited about an accomplishment of a suggested name and are hasty to add it to their tree

I just found out one of my ancestors was a boat pilot on the Deleware River during the American Revolution. Maybe he was piloting the boat your ancestor was in. Crazy stuff to think about. Also found out one of my uncles was in the 4th Marine Division and apparently fought on Iwo Jima. I was really excited about that. My Grandpa said he is looking for his photos.

Jacob

Always a possibility. Makes you realize what a small world in is. I always say Small World, Smaller Corps because it seems that, despite being only 175K Marines spread around the world, I run into someone I know almost weekly.

Found a second Marine in the family, another DISTANT cousin, James Roosevelt the Marine Raider and NC recipient. Of course, his service is much more known. I'm at 1500+ relatives in the tree and only two Marines...more ancestors fought in the Revolution than have served in the Corps at this point in the research.

A lot of fun to see the historical connections to the family, no matter how distant. Has really sparked an interest in Colonial/Revolutionary times I didn't have previous. Pretty much involved, by blood or by marriage, in any major event in Massachusetts leading to the Revolution. I had no idea that before the direct ancestors occupied NY, that they spent over a century concentrated in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Settlers, politicians, revolutionaries, Tea Party participants, even a few loyalists who went back to England as the revolution was brewing. People who fought Napoleon, a man who circumnavigated the globe, US Presidents. Crazy, fascinating stuff. And here just a few weeks ago I thought the family had shown up in the 1800s at earliest.

Definitely a worthwhile endeavor, and finally putting all that money ancestry has cost me to full-time use, rather than the occasional Marine Muster Roll

normaninvasion

Brig, It's a worthwhile adventure. Your going to find that common link if you had family in the northeast during colonial times. The degrees of separation become very small. Also contact the DAR for more info regarding relatives in the Am Rev. What have you found regarding CW participation?

So far, just one by blood, one by marriage, both Union. But I have been hovering around Colonial times expanding left and right, since there were always copious amounts of children. Have a solid tree descending from Anne Hutchinson to prominent individuals that's apparently in a library (not some janky, half-hearted ancestry members tree, those are minefields), but I don't like to blindly trust other peoples work, particularly who I don't know, so I have been trying to trace those branches to get them on the tree with solid citations.

normaninvasion

That is good info regarding the library. On local levels, libraries contain old published genealogies of the old families, as well as historical societies. There are probably decedents of Anne Hutch societies that have formal trees as well. There is a lot of published stuff out there, kinda like unit histories. I lucked out as my mothers family has been in the same area since 1640, my fathers has been in MA, CT, and NY since 1630s, plus a Norwegian, German, and Scotsman to mix it up a bit.

Hit up the pension records and rolls for the rev. The DAR has that stuff

One thing that can be a pain is that generations used the same first name which gets confusing: william smith 1st or william smith 9th?

You will have your winters covered for the next few years

Brig, Dumb question: does he have any living relatives that you would be willing to contact? Long time ago, I contacted a relative from a genealogy site and we were able to sort out some family research.

Who knows , you may find out he was into early MC history and was collecting insignia and groupings back in the day. :)

Hi Brig,

I'm going to bring this thread back to the original topic of focusing on your distant cousin. Most likely there are still "distant cousins" out there who remember him, or have heard of him. Make it a priority to get in touch with them as they are dying out fast, including the children of the WWII vets. Follow normaninvasion's advice, and I'll bet you'll come up with something, maybe even family paperwork on him, or has happened to me with a cousin, some nice military gear. It's not hard. Start with your parents and then their brothers/sisters, and go from there.

Good luck!!

Steve

Hi Brig,

I'm going to bring this thread back to the original topic of focusing on your distant cousin. Most likely there are still "distant cousins" out there who remember him, or have heard of him. Make it a priority to get in touch with them as they are dying out fast, including the children of the WWII vets. Follow normaninvasion's advice, and I'll bet you'll come up with something, maybe even family paperwork on him, or has happened to me with a cousin, some nice military gear. It's not hard. Start with your parents and then their brothers/sisters, and go from there.

Good luck!!

Steve

A forum member was able to provide me with a couple of documents