WW2 Gas Ration Stickers and cards

cerick1450

Hello

I recently was given these by a elderly neighbor. He cannot remember where he got them, but is sure he bought them in the early 70's. (There was a note with them from 1974) They appear to be gas ration cards and stickers from WW2. Also included are a few paper instructions. The stickers are lightwight paper with glue on the front. They do not glow under a black light. The ration cards are consecutive numbered? Is there any way to tell if these are originals? I know that they make reproductions for the collector car market, but they are made heavier and removable. I do not know if they made exact copies in the early 70's?? also If they made a copy, would they have made them with doffernet serial numbers??

Thanks in advance for the help..

post-13198-0-87935500-1535930228.jpg

Nice, I have only seen the "A" gas ration placards.

If you watch some Hollywood 1940s movies you will still see them have the ration cards in the car windows.

Thanks for the comments. I also thought these were cool. I have never seen all the variations myself. Not to mention the other paperwork...

trenchrat1918

Great grouping of stickers and associated paperwork. Does anyone know the criteria used to issue the S sticker? The A sticker was for 4 gallons of gasoline a week and you couldn't own more than 5 tires. B was for 8 gallons a week. C was for essential people like Drs, nurses dentists, mail carriers etc, I believe there were 17 occupations listed and you had to check your job on the bottom of the sticker. T was for truckers and not pictured was the mythical X sticker which entitled you to unlimited fuel.

Interestingly rationing fuel was not the primary purpose of these stickers, conserving tires was actually the aim. The Japanese had cut off our main supply of rubber so rubber for the civilian market was severely limited.

Excellent collection, usually they are filled out. Nice to see unused ones. careful with the window stickers, they have a water activated glue on the face so you can stick them to the inside of your auto window.

BKW

• 1 month later...
RustyCanteen

Does anyone know the criteria used to issue the S sticker?

The "S" sticker was from 1942 (replaced by the "T" sticker in late 1942) and was supposed to be used for commercial trucks and other vehicles (buses, taxis, etc). There was apparently some confusion and owners of station wagons were using these stickers. A bulletin was released near the end of the "S" sticker's lifetime clarifying that a station wagon was to be treated the same as a car; it was not a truck and should therefore be issued an "A" sticker (or whatever the driver qualified for, B or C).

The basic list is as follows:

A: Passenger Cars [Average 240 miles per month]

B: Supplemental for Passenger Cars [Average 470 miles per month]

C: Supplemental for Passenger Cars [Essential Need = Job related] [more than 470 miles per month for occupation purposes]

D: Motorcycles [ Average 240 miles per month] There was no sticker for this group, just the book.

E: Book for non-highway users; small

R: Book for non-highway users; large

S: Commercial trucks and vehicles (taxi cabs, buses, etc) [Replaced by the "T" sticker in late 1942]

T: For all Commercial (non-Motorcycle) vehicles & Military vehicles.

And of course there were books for these and other uses, but these are the most commonly encountered for (most) vehicles back then.

trenchrat1918

The "S" sticker was from 1942 (replaced by the "T" sticker in late 1942) and was supposed to be used for commercial trucks and other vehicles (buses, taxis, etc). There was apparently some confusion and owners of station wagons were using these stickers. A bulletin was released near the end of the "S" sticker's lifetime clarifying that a station wagon was to be treated the same as a car; it was not a truck and should therefore be issued an "A" sticker (or whatever the driver qualified for, B or C).

The basic list is as follows:

A: Passenger Cars [Average 240 miles per month]

B: Supplemental for Passenger Cars [Average 470 miles per month]

C: Supplemental for Passenger Cars [Essential Need = Job related] [more than 470 miles per month for occupation purposes]

D: Motorcycles [ Average 240 miles per month] There was no sticker for this group, just the book.

E: Book for non-highway users; small

R: Book for non-highway users; large

S: Commercial trucks and vehicles (taxi cabs, buses, etc) [Replaced by the "T" sticker in late 1942]

T:  For all Commercial (non-Motorcycle) vehicles & Military vehicles.

And of course there were books for these and other uses, but these are the most commonly encountered for (most) vehicles back then.

Thank you for clearing up this mystery for me. I've had a number of S stickers over the years and couldn't find any information on them. Wes

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk