USS Texas - Battlewagon in need

Ray175INF

With recent events that unfolded with the USS Ling it brought to mind another warship that has been on the verge of being taken to the razor farm

As it stands right now

Cost of dry berth - $51 Million

Cost to destroy her - $30 Million

Last surviving U.S. world war 1 era dreadnought

1st Mar Div was activated on her decks Feb of 1941

Her track record during the 2nd world war

North Africa

Normandy

Cherbourg

Southern France

Iwo Jima

Okinawa

Too many great warships has long since been turned into tuna cans and razors

I personally dont want see her suffer that same fate

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/amp/Congress-can-help-Battleship-Texas-stay-afloat-12945310.php

The problem with the in water attempts at preservation is that eventually the sea will win out. These vessels will want to sink. I believe a better solution is to maintain that portion above the water line. Maintain them as a building that happens to look like a ship. Take the money and either cradle her and back fill or cut her at the waterline, lift and slide to a new close by site and scrap the below the waterline portion.. Either way a considerable chunk of change is involved.

The powers that be might want to take a ride down to Galveston to check the preservation of the DE and SS that are landlocked there..

Agreed, that's the plan to put her in dry berth out of the water. Either that or like you say back fill her kinda like what they did with the Batfish.

In question was whether she was structurally sound to be able to support herself, a study was recently done that shown she could indeed.

So now it's an issue with funds (as it always is) ....

Once these ships are gone they're gone that's it. It's sad and IMHO illogical when it comes to the fact you're gonna pay booku bucks to scrap her, you're throwing that money away.

With the passing of our WW2 generation being at the cyclic rate now, sadly very soon these vessels, aircraft and tanks will be the only thing we'll have to connect us to our grand parents, great uncles and that generation.

• 1 year later...

I've been following the news and updates about the Texas for a while now, and I hope enough money is raised and people get their act together so that the easiest option (scrapping) never happens. I visited her a few years ago, and she's even more impressive in person. Unfortunately the water she's resting in right now is especially horrendous on her hull. It is very expensive but dry docking her for repairs and eventually placing her out of the water permanently is whats needed to save her.

post-153059-0-68540700-1574528319_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...
TheCrustyBosun

I too have followed the USS Texas and her ongoing saga to survive.  I was born and raised over in Port Arthur, Texas, about an hour away and have visited every chance I get when in the Houston area.  She's a very significant piece of history and is worthy of continued restoration and preservation. 

The State of Texas has officially turned the care and operation of the USS Texas BB-35 over to the Battleship Texas Foundation.  The State retains ownership of the vessel and has approved funding to remove the ship from its berth, tow her to a yard, make necessary repairs to the hull and its related structural components, and then tow her to a new location where she will be permanently displayed.  She will not return to San Jacinto as they have determined that the ship needs to be in a location with a better tourism draw.   The new site has yet to be determined, though at least three locations are actively being considered.   The Texas has been surveyed by contractors and the USCG and found to be sound enough to make such a trip.  Preparations for her trip are well underway at this time.  For more details, visit https://battleshiptexas.org/battleship-updates/

• 2 months later...
TheCrustyBosun

USS Texas BB-35 is almost ready for her transit to dry dock from the slip she has called home since 1948 in LaPorte, TX. Crews have recently finished filling various void spaces, fuel tanks, and torpedo blisters with foam. This will help prevent her from taking on water while also providing added buoyancy. She has come a long way. Divers have placed patches in various locations reducing her overboard pump discharge next to nothing. Her compliment of antiaircraft guns have been removed for restoration and to further lighten her. Her ground tackle has been surveyed to ensure sound connections for towing as well. They have begun training in a ship simulator to get an idea of how she will handle under tow. The yard location where she will be hauled has yet to be released. Come on Texas!!