WWII M1 helmet paint?

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

Anyone have a source for the correct WWII paint color besides Murray, they have been sold out for a while now..

I have used original lead based paint ...used on vehicles...a flat OD but still has s light sheen to it

I have tried several shades of OD fro AJP, and again the flat OD has a slight sheen

the pic has AJP Flat OD, and shows the sheen

post-155518-0-48822400-1535650421.jpg

General Colt

Krylon OD works well. A few friends in my unit use it. I use an OD vehicle paint that I spotted at a surplus store. I will look up who made it when I have a chance.

It's Rapco that your thinking about. Good paint. Good service. I use their "Lusterless Khaki olive drab" for SPH-4's.They have other shades.

phantomfixer

Thanks for the lead guys...going with the early WWII lusterless OD...

Murray sells (but not in stock) ultra flat...kinda like pizza pizza?

phantomfixer

here are a few older ones...I don't try to fabricate or reproduce unit helmets...strictly recork and paint the shells...except for my Grandfathers T patch M1 The T was put on, but never took a pic of before I gave it to my uncle

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/264498-m1-fs-fb-223a-resto/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/256556-schlueter-repainted/

• 1 month later...

Playing around with OD paint from Tractor Supply, the light shade, and 1940s USGI OD, the darker shade...what started out as test patterns turned into a camo job..

the helmet is a front seam SB IIRC... devoid of any original gi finish..except for a weird spade looking shape on the side of the helmet, under a few layers of paint..

Any thoughts on which color is best versus a 30 dollar half pint from Murray

post-155518-0-56678200-1539888803_thumb.jpg

Rapco is on the list...seems they come highly recommended..

Here is a second helmet...refurbished along with the first one...cork is from Murray...

post-155518-0-60504800-1539955963.jpg

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread with a question. Which color would be best for restoring an M1 for a early to mid-war ETO impression? These are the paint colors currently available from rapco:

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 9.37.10 PM.png

Rapco fine and dandy for everything but vehicles. My armored vehicle and trailer faded and chalked terribly in the sun after just 4-5 years of Airshows, parades and events. Rapco did not do the job. I just finished repainting my armored vehicle ( upon recommendation of my MVPA) with Home Depot Behr oil based exterior paint. I took a sample of Rapco 1944 OD to HD and they mixed up a gallon to a perfect match, $28 a gallon. I choosed to brush and roll it on, but instructions state it could be sprayed. We shall see how the finish withstands the sun and weather.

Had a great day on the range with the 1919.....image.jpeg.31c55af762eb005d3f42651abb659bd7.jpegimage.jpeg.1e53970688943cfd9bf9a0bfafd31731.jpegimage.jpeg.0fef4bfb6181b3e376b9ee731c36f248.jpeg

I will add all " real" paint has official Federal Standard ( FS) numbers assigned to it. Rapco and Testors modelling paint is the most original paint and is mixed in accordance to the Fed Standard paints and in fact has the original government FS numbers assigned to them. Here is what Testors paint offers in their official FS line. ALL US government from WW2 were/ is assigned these FS numbers, if the paint you are using ( tractor supply, Rustoleum, etc) does not have the FS number, it is not correct. I would suggest you go to Hobby Lobby and pick up what you need in their small enamel spray cans, costs only about $5 a can and perfect ( original) for a small restoration like a helmet or ordnance, the real deal. 

https://www.testors.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/Testors/ColorCharts/RM280037_0914_ModelMasters_AmericanFSEnamel-MetalizerPaint.ashx

1 hour ago, McDermut99 said:

Bumping this thread with a question. Which color would be best for restoring an M1 for a early to mid-war ETO impression? These are the paint colors currently available from rapco:

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 9.37.10 PM.png

Rapco numbers shown are historically correct and accurate, BUT technically the numbers should have " FS" preceding them. Example, FS 319, FS 34079, .......I have repainted a few of my ordnance pieces, the TMs state the FS colors, and Testors has them all, from the yellow HE color, to the Practice Blue, to the AP black, to the gold inert colors....no need for high priced, low durability Rapco stuff.

Here is an article explaining the Federal Standard FS 595- paint number. A must read for those attempting accurate restorations. Keep in mind the FM's are hard to find, but every thing from footlockers, to grenades, to vehicles, to tools, etc had a Federal Standard paint number assigned to it by the Quartermaster Corps. Deviations did occur for instance if painting,/repainting in the field and the correct color was not available another FS shade was used. Also, " stuff" left the manufacturing plants usually with sprayed finish, however brushed finishes were very common when done in the field.  I have used the Fed Standard many times to validate " original" from " Repaint" on ordnance pieces. This knowledge has been applied to a very rare 75mm HE 1945 dated Recoilless Rifle I have. It has original colors( unseen under the rotating band) but a post war color change brush finish. A TM stated surplus rounds at the end of the war were to be repainted  in the field, with brush suitable.I am supplying more info as I have seen very little on this forum mentioning FS color coding, a must know for the professional collector. 

http://www.ak-masters.com/app/tut/US-WWII.pdf

• 1 year later...

Ok. So which FS number is correct for the M1 helmet? 

I've used the olive drab Testors and have one from ATF but they both look awfully light compared to the originals I have.

Side note anyone have a recommendation for vesicant color? I'm working on a vesicant camo project