Please lead me out of the land of Bewilderment.

DHolly

Please lead me out of the land of Bewilderment. I have recently bought a large number of DUIs and have been searching the ASMIC catalogs to properly identify them. My most recent purchases were sold as Support Battalions/Brigades/Groups etc. and some of them appear in the QM/Supply Catalog. However, many do not appear in that catalog. For example the DUI with the motto "Always Able" is identified as the following in the ASMIC Motto List: 709th Maintenance Bn., 709th AAA Bn., 709th Ordnance Bn. and 709th Maintenance Bn. The example I have in my hand now shows up in the ASMIC Maintenance Catalog as 709A 709th MAINTENANCE BN (A) CLASS. I understand that units sometimes change throughout their lifespan as to function and those units may keep the same DUI even if they change from a Military Police Bn. to an Engineer Bn. Finally, here's my question, do these units, for example the above referenced 709th Whatever Bn. maintain the same ASMIC number no matter which ASMIC catalog they actually appear in? Thanks in advance for leading me out of this wilderness. :)

Dave

709th Maint., from the asmic catalog., three variations listed. Ord/Maint catalog from 1985. reprint 2009. tells me no new data included just a reprint. a lot of Maint/ ord units wore the same di within the unit example 709th !

i came up with zero results for a 709 AAA. I don't use the Asmic Motto list., try Steins book on crests, while not a complete catalog of all crests, it's a modern reference from 1993.

The 709 Maint orig designation date was probably the 1950s as the early piece listed is a 9m maker mark in my collection. Further, the 709th Ord/Maint was redesignated in 1987 as Support, though probably they may still be responsible for some of the same duties as being Maint / Ord, depends on the unit.

the redesignation is not listed in the support catalog because it hasn't been updated. There is an advanced collector working on updating the catalog for asmic.

As quickly as units designations are changed then the listing has to be changed, and it will be up to the collector to manage this in his or her catalogs. Asmic numbers will change !

Our main source for unit redesignations would the the TIOH which has had no internet presence in months. searching 709 Support on the TIOH, results given should show unit origin, and redesignations along the way.

Hope that helps. Matt