Midway

Ray175INF

The remake no one asked for starring possibly the most inappropriate actor ever as Adm. Nimitz. Can't wait. I guarantee at least 3 bomb's-eye views of bombs being dropped on carriers. Nimitz will talk directly to pilots in their cockpits. Ships will explode as if they were made of solid nitro glycerine. Look closely and you will see at least three people wearing WWII Victory ribbons.

pararaftanr2

Only time will tell if the skepticism is justified, but I can attest that the people involved with this movie are at least trying to make it historically accurate. A well known militaria collector and author is in charge of costuming. Several members of this Forum have been consulted about the uniforms and flight gear that would be appropriate to June 1942 and others here have provided them with accurate representations of what was in use at the time. Historical texts have been consulted to provide even the smallest details, as remembered by participants in the Battle. Full sized replicas of SBDs and TBDs have been built and an effort made to outfit them with period-correct items, such as seatbelts, oxygen systems, radio sets, etc. We can only hope that the additional casting (most roles are yet to be announced) and screen writing will result in a movie that is enjoyable and on a par with some of the more successful military movies and mini-series of the recent past.

The cast line up looks excellent

Aaron eckhart, Luke Evans, Tadanobu Asano

Awesome actors in my book

I'm not one to be overly critical but its gets to a point where CGI does more harm than good...

Look at Memphis Belle, The Tuskegee Airmen (1995) , Tora! Tora! Tora! And Midway (1976)

They were amazing in my opinion

That's right, VT-8 poor guys... I'll be having a drink to them tonight

I'm not too sure whose playing George, I thought it would be Luke Evans but he's playing (Then) LCDR Wade McClusky

pararaftanr2

Thanks. It will be interesting to see who gets the role. Gay was 25 at the time, and a native Texan with a bit of a "weathered" look.

post-9787-0-61596000-1535681473_thumb.jpg

Jim MacDonald

pararaftaner2,

That's the first I've heard about any full sized replicas of TBDs being built for anything. Do you have any further details that you can share?

Thanks,

Mac

Every war movie ever made has had an "historical advisor." Take three recent examples - War Horse, Fury and Dunkirk. All had historically accurate uniforms and equipment, yet all were terrible (in my opinion, of course) because of choices the director made. This movie will be no different.

pararaftanr2

pararaftaner2,

That's the first I've heard about any full sized replicas of TBDs being built for anything. Do you have any further details that you can share?

Thanks,

Mac

Mac,

No, unfortunately. My information was second hand, but from someone working on the production. They were asking for details about the proper seatbelts, oxygen equipment, radio mics and multi-place life rafts used in the TBD and SBD at Midway. Also about the bombardier's cushion Gay hid behind once down in the water. These would be 1:1 scale static replicas of the planes for closeups, not actual flying aircraft. Apparently George Gay's experiences during the attack, his being shot down and subsequently floating amidst the Imperial Fleet during the Battle are to be featured in the film.

Forgive my ignorance but why is woody barrels on the worse choice for Nimitz

He has no understanding or liking of the military.

He has no clue about the kind of stresses a senior commander is under.

He doesn't know what it is to be a leader of men.

His acting range is limited. He has never had a similar role.

Of course, you could say this about 90% of actors, but when I picture Adm. Nimitz, Woody Harrelson is literally the last person that comes to mind as a suitable actor to portray him. Off the top of my head I would say Kiefer Sutherland is a better choice. I might actually watch the movie were he in it, but with Woody, I'll pass. And that's the last I'll say about this before I get admonished by an admin for not talking about militaria.

Considering its still technically militaria because it's a war movie I think you're fine

If not I'm sure admin will move it over to the non-militaria section to continue discussions

Bringing up Kiefer Sutherland, yeah I'd definitely would like to see him in a military role down the road.

Woody Harrelson did play a noncom in The Thin Red Line albeit a very short role, one of my buddies pretty much said the same thing you did about anyone playing Admiral Nimitz.

Even seeing John Cusack again as he was in TRL too, would be very cool

As long as they aren't saying "there's a hole in your left wing" (some may get the reference) then I'm good, Lol.

From what Pararaftaner2 had to say I am very curious as to what the finished project will look like.

doinworkinvans

You won't get banished for talking about a war movie, so no worries there. Thanks for the answer about Woody. Im not a movie watcher really so I am out of the loop when it comes hollywood.

Since we have no movie to judge yet, we can just hope it will be good and wait until it comes out to give it a yay or nay.

Happy Saturday

Hookemhorns88

I am just happy that they are making another WW2 movie. I am sure that there will be some flaws in it that will be picked apart relentlessly but I will give it a see anyway.

I am skeptical as most, but I am not going to Monday morning quarterback a film that hasnt even been shot yet.

Hoping for the best...

John

I am not going to Monday morning quarterback a film that hasnt even been shot yet.

John

I completely agree. Why do people complain about what they want or don't want before a movie is even produced? If people are negative from the start then it is very hard to get back positive.

I am sure many people never thought Gary Oldman would make a good Winston Churchill and he won an academy award for best actor.

While I worry because the old version of the movie was one of my favorite movies, I will remain positive until I see it for myself.