JBalme Cib

ehines42

What is the story with these? I know the quality is good and they are from France, but I see prices for these on eBay for $175-600. Can someone enlighten me?post-154528-0-14228700-1535519421_thumb.jpg

post-154528-0-93024700-1535519445_thumb.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Although the company still exists and manufactures badges for the French military these CIBs were last made in the 1990s. (Balme also made EIBs, jump wings, aviator wings and so on for the US military back then.)

All of the company’s designs are of the highest quality. Alot of people, myself included, consider the Balme CIBs to be one of the most beautiful interpretations of this badge. At the same time there is considerable doubt about the acceptability of wearing one of these on your uniform.

Forum member Triplecanopy has a very informative thread on these badges, perhaps he’ll see your information request and provide more detail.

Cobra 6 Actual

I believe that a $150 to $175 purchase price would be reasonable for a first award or second award Balme CIB. Honestly, if a collector is not in a hurry there are still plenty of these out there, sometimes at prices much less that what I suggested.

Triplecanopy notes in his thread that there is some talk of sterling silver versions of the Balme CIB. Having never seen one myself I would still speculate that a Balme badge made in Sterling Silver would go up significantly in price ... perhaps as high as $300 or $400.

A fair price would depend on how badly someone needs this for their collection. There's been a Balme CIB thats pops up on eBay for $500 every so often. I think that is wishful thinking.

I found a member on the forum who lives in Europe and asked him to find me one awhile back (1st Award). They are more common in Europe. Like Cobra6 said they are not as rare as some tend to believe. You just need to be patient and watch for them. I am assuming that you have the badge on eBay right now for $175. You have the bag for yours which is nice. Ultimately it comes down to what your comfortable getting for it. If you don't get a BIN at $175 then its too high I guess. Also will second what was said above, never seen a Sterling one, but that would bring some $$. Best of luck.

• 7 months later...
Garandomatic

I am positive the Balme CIB I sold to a member here, Rocket, I think, was marked STERLING. As such, I took it for a WWII CIB variant until he gave me some of the back story. Haven't heard from him in a while.

Garandomatic

And I cannot find my post at all... I made a post asking questions about it, but it does not show up in the search feature any longer.

• 2 years later...