Odd M1907 First Aid Packet - "TRIANGULAR & COMPRESS"

Keystone

Another recent eBay pick up. I've never seen one of these before. This looks like an ordinary M1907 packet but is marked "Triangular & Compress". I would assume this to be an issue item but there is no contract date. It has the indented ring in the back so it's post 1915. Any thoughts?

post-192-0-89660100-1535501370_thumb.jpg

post-192-0-82340100-1535501379_thumb.jpg

I have a packet marked "U.S. ARMY STYLE" which I always thought was either civilian or purchased by an Officer. I've seen quite a few of these over the years. Both are identical in size to the M1907.

Tim

post-192-0-23742100-1535501519_thumb.jpg

Another recent eBay pick up. I've never seen one of these before. This looks like an ordinary M1907 packet but is marked "Triangular & Compress". I would assume this to be an issue item but there is no contract date. It has the indented ring in the back so it's post 1915. Any thoughts?

Civilian???

I was thinking the same thing but then why paint it brown? The wording is strange as well. The other "ARMY STYLE" one says it's a "First Aid Packet", so what is a "Triangular & Compress"? I don't think this would be a medic item as I think they had the soft bandages. When I google "triangular & compress" I do get a few hits for Rail Road first aid kits but no pictures.

Tim

I was thinking the same thing but then why paint it brown? The wording is strange as well. The other "ARMY STYLE" one says it's a "First Aid Packet", so what is a "Triangular & Compress"? I don't think this would be a medic item as I think they had the soft bandages. When I google "triangular & compress" I do get a few hits for Rail Road first aid kits but no pictures.

Tim

The color is the easy answer... its just cheaper. back then remember Ford said you could have any color model T you want as long as it is black...

I was thinking it is like a branding thing...for the name to represent the content.

Triangular and Compress refers to the bandage. Triangular is the shape, and compress is the fact that there is a pad for soaking up blood.

I'd say this is a WWI era field dressing.

Allan

Agreed

a compress typically indicates adding pressure to stop the flow of blood and is different than just a bandage for wrapping.

Apply a compress and wrap with a bandage as needed.