Uncovered a treasure trove...

jpipes

Bought a library and uncovered a treasure trove inside a box. And now the fun begins. The patches in the center are all what I think on first pass are vintage and/or desirable pieces, mainly WWII with some WWI. I found two WWII 101st, a WWII 6th Marine Division, WWII 1st Marine Division, WWII 1st Cav, a nice 1st ID, and lots of others that appear nice. The left side are all 80s, 90s, mainly flight patches or modern pieces, some clearly issued with well used velcro on the reverse. Right side are mainly rank patches, and mainly USMC I believe, of varying ages and eras.

post-181923-0-12360800-1535395884_thumb.jpg

Nice white tongue 101st and looks like felt 77th DIV. The small round patch with the circle & red arrow is WW2 Canadian, it meant the soldier was trained, I think it was called the MARS badge?

Nice lot...the best piece appears to be the 4th RANGER scroll.

Looks like the Italian woven with grey wool back.....very desirable theatre made scroll.

Nice lot...the best piece appears to be the 4th RANGER scroll.

Looks like the Italian woven with grey wool back.....very desirable theatre made scroll.

I don’t see a pic of the back.

I don’t see a pic of the back.

Really don't need one as these tend to be all the same. :)

the letters and font of the number is a given as well.Just a 4 (not 4th)

The wool is uniform material as I understand it

Thanks for the info on that one, I would not have noticed otherwise. On first pass I assumed the wool backing meant it was a modern piece. My expertise with SSI ends about 1920. :) I am getting better with some of the obvious stuff and this is extremely helpful. All of these will be for sale so I really appreciate the assistance in sorting them out.

Thanks for the info on that one, I would not have noticed otherwise. On first pass I assumed the wool backing meant it was a modern piece. My expertise with SSI ends about 1920. :) I am getting better with some of the obvious stuff and this is extremely helpful. All of these will be for sale so I really appreciate the assistance in sorting them out.

Its a great piece.

Italian made all the way

Looks like a kid's collection, gathered from family who served in WWII and then friends with more modern service.

You may have some good ones in your 80's and 90's pile. I think USN collectors like dated cruise patches, and I like USAF units in Korea.

The person this collection belonged to was the author of nine books on US medals and awards, a combat wounded Marine, and close personal friends with many of Medal of Honor holders. He was pretty accomplished in his areas of interest. We've already established a handful of these patches are highly desirable examples, but he came across them from veterans and veteran associations, not from the act of collecting them like stamps, thus the wide range of examples and units. He wasn't a kid, that's for sure.

As per above a green back 101st AB patch and a rare Italian made 4th Ranger scroll have been IDd so far. Some nice stuff.

There are indeed some nice patches in the Korea and beyond pile but I haven't gotten to those just yet. I spotted a really nice one for an Anti-submarine squadron out of NAS Jacksonville for example.