Looking for Unit identification, etc. from this photo.

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

All I know from this picture is that they are USAF. Any idea on anything else? One guy is wearing a unit patch on his cap. Thanks!

Justin

Picture_245.jpg

Picture_246.jpg

Picture_247.jpg

The aircraft is a B-47. Judging by the armament and radar it's probable that it's a B-47E, although it could also be an RB-47 or an updated B-47B. I can't make a determination of specific time period, but I believe that the first B-47s with this armament installation entered service in 1953, and the type was withdrawn from front-line service by the mid 60s... 1966 I think.

As to the patch, it looks like a pair of wings on the upper right, and maybe a gun running through the middle. It's quite indistinct in the image you posted, even after fooling a bit in photoshop. Is it a bit more clear on the print? If so, can you describe it?

I've been looking for bombardment squadron insignia, but as I write this it's occurred to me that the gun on the patch, if that's what it is, would be somewhat inappropriate for a bomber unit. So I'm wondering if this could be the emblem of an armament section of a bomber unit.

Fade to Black...

You might try posting that photo over on www.usafpatches.com in the forum for unknown patches. It's probably an A&E Squadron patch (Armament and Electronics). This is a really neat photo depicting the flight line maintenance guys at work back in the early Cold War days.