Great Buy

jw517

Catfishcraig

Wow I just sold a near mint mid war Kabar with the original sheath on eBay for $140. Guess these bidders thought it was the 70s. version ?

I was listing a couple Kabar knives I didn't want anymore,(contemporary stuff) and saw this one. Told seller it was not WWII And the buyer might eventually be "pissed". No answer.

Yipes. I was thinking maybe it was a WWII Kabar that ended up in a commemorative sheath, as I’ve seen sleepers like that. Nope.

I’m sure Bill’s book is great, but there are some ultra-basics that should avoid this from happening.

Rule 1 : No USMC-issued MKII had the EGA embossed on the sheath (if anyone knows an exception, please shout it out)

Blade-wise, the “USMC” lettering is a dead giveaway. Now granted, that takes a little more study, but cmon...

I agree with Craig, I think guys pay more for the ones with the sheath embellishments, because of those.

Read, then buy...

I did a short video which talks about some of the differences: the important thing is that NO Ka-Bar brand fighting knives were made under government contract after WWII.

SOMETIMES it goes the other way as well. A seller put this on a while ago as a "1211" with an opening bid of 99 cents and a BIN of $150. If you look closely at the price tag, whoever HE got it from was just as mis-informed..... it's marked $75

Art

PS.... Yes, I was lucky enough to be the first one to spot if

post-168413-0-91992800-1535396319_thumb.jpg

post-168413-0-56362400-1535396494.png