Best way to reattach a ring to a medal/pendent?

Outtair

I recently purchased a Philippine Campaign Medal that has the ring suspension broken away from the medal. I would like to reattach the medal to the ring. The ring is complete and you can see the spot it attached to the medal. What is the best process? Welding, Brazing, Soldering, or Adhesive? Does heating the medal effect the tone/color? My buddy is a machinist but has never done this before and is looking for any guidance.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Tim,

Repairs to medals can be tricky and often time results in damaging the medal. Since welding, brazing, and soldering all involve heat there is a high risk of changing the color or patina of the medal especially around the area being repaired. A jeweler could give you some great advise. I have successfully used J-B weld to put the attaching ring back on a medal or two. A lot of patience and only a tiny amount of glue is required. Any excess glue can be carefully removed. It helps to have tiny clamps and practice before you try it. Let us know how it turns out and good luck.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

I prefer using “JB Weld” which is a mix of metal and epoxy - I like it because when dry it resembles old solder (gray) - available at Home Depot

Bill

Thanks guys I will try the JB Weld first and send a before and after. Since I will have it in a case I doubt it will get much tension on it.

Tim

aerialbridge

Tricky business, that. Metal changing color or a big gob of solder. Probably why medals without rings generally sell for a deep discount.

Apply with a toothpick and use needle nose pliers to hold it in place - do not disturb for 24 hours and use 00 sandpaper lightly to take the sheen off the adhesive

Bill