My first Civil War piece.

prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter

This discharge medal was given to my Great, Great Grandfather. Has his name on the edge along with Co 0 6th Regiment Inf Vol

post-167837-0-38214100-1535312403.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

What a great piece of family history. Thanks for showing

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

prestoncohunter

Thanks Bill. Obviously it's been in the family for years but I didn't know about and while chatting with my Mom today she was like you have been gathering the WW2 stuff from Sue's (my wife) family here's your great, great granddad's medal. Made my day. These probably aren't rare by any streach but for me it's priceless.

Great item and I can see how it made you day (and I'd guess many more to come). What a wonderful connection with your past. Do you know how long he lived?

prestoncohunter

sundance, I don't remember exactly but I think he passed away in the early 30's.

I have found the 6th Inf Vols were tasked mainly with guarding the railroads in WV, not listed as being in major battles but in several skirmishes with raiders. We also have a copy of my other great, great grandfathers Civil War discharge papers. A cousin has the original, her only son isn't into that kind of history so I'm going to talk to her someday and see about getting it.

prestoncohunter

Nothing like family pieces. Hope you told your mom thanks.

Oh yes! She is also going to talk to my cousin who has my other Great, Great Grandfathers CW discharge papers.

I'm currently looking for a small shadow box to put this medal in.

In a strange twist we have also discovered that my wife's Great Great Grandfather served in the same company.

As I recall, there were a number of these medals that were never claimed by the veterans or their families. You might check with the state to see if your wife's ancester ever claimed his medal. It is possible that you culd end up with both!

Allan

prestoncohunter

You are correct Alan several weren't claimed. I have checked both my other great great and my wife's were. But thank you for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...
USCapturephotos

Congratulations! I had a bunch of ancestors that served in New Jersey and Pennsylvania regiments. We have a few discharge papers, etc. but not much. So exciting when something surfaces in your own family. Good luck with the research!

Paul