Two odd WW2 dress uniforms; US-Canadian fusion?

milsurp_scout_14

milsurp_scout_14

Here's my first big find of this year's Goodwill Halloween section. I am unfamiliar with dress uniforms, so I'll refer to them as 'long coat' and 'short coat'. There is also pants, with matching name to the short coat, but I didn't picture those.

The long coat was made by Gimbel Brothers (American company), and has all US buttons...except the top chest button, which is an RCAF button! Insignia consists of the RCAF wings and blue bar with oak leaf over the right pocket, and 2 rows of ribbons over the left pocket. One ribbon is the Canadian Voluntary Service medal, and has a Canadian maple leaf pinned to it. The rest are US Silver Star, Air medal, American defense service medal, Eur-Afr-Md Eastern Campaign, and American campaign. There are obvious 'ghosts' where more insignia were pinned to it at one time. Laundry number is H2072; tag in the pocket is blank unfortunately. Glossy green interior.

The short coat was made by Terry & Juden Co, and has fabric covered buttons. Insignia is the RCAF wings over the right pocket, and US 9th Air Force patch on the left shoulder. Again, obvious ghosts where other insignia has been removed. Pocket tag is named to 'H. G. Seedory, Army, 202'. It also has a glossy green interior. It's of similar fit to the 'Ike' jackets.

I have no evidence (other than matching RCAF wings) that these two coats even belonged to the same person. Based on what is seen here though, is it likely that these belonged to an American serving with the RCAF? And the 9th AF was a later assignment, but he kept the RCAF wings on his uniform from prior service?

post-153911-0-97502700-1535254886_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-16408000-1535254895_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-44389200-1535254902_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-14915300-1535254921_thumb.jpg

milsurp_scout_14

Thanks for pointing me towards that category; I didn't know one was set up on here for foreign service stuff!

Thanks for pointing me towards that category; I didn't know one was set up on here for foreign service stuff!

In the Army, it was these former RAF/RCAF guys who started the trend of wearing foreign badges on their Class A uniforms in WWII, today it's still done within the Army, these commonly being allied or friendly nation's Parachute Badges.