USS Nicholas (DD-311) Life Ring - Display and Preservation

JBaird

I recently acquired an original USS Nicholas (DD-311) life ring, which I've added to my US Navy collection. As I have not had one of these, and am fairly certain it is most likely the only one remaining, I would like some input on how to display/preserve it. The USS Nicholas was lost in 1923 (Commissioned 1920) and was lost in the Honda Point disaster. My preference would be to have it in a sealed display, which would also hold it securely. I look forward to your comments!

One section of the outer rope is broken where it goes under the strapping holding it to the life ring. The black tape at the bottom appears to have been an attempt to "repair" a crack (?) in the life ring itself. The tape will remain in place as I do not want to damage the life ring any further. Luckily, the tape runs between the "ones" of the "311" designator.

post-157582-0-46379900-1535249683_thumb.jpeg

Salvage Sailor

Glad you picked that up, I'd have gone for it too.

Great addition to any USN historical collection. previous thread http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/315167-uss-nicholas-life-ring/

As to preservation, I have several life rings and other than to keep them dusted or clean with only a damp cloth, Leave Them Alone is the best policy. A glass case with some information and photos about Honda Point would be best for this historic piece.

I got around to "cleaning" the life ring today. I opted to use a small soft paint brush (unused) and a low flow air pressure to remove dust and cobwebs. It was picked up at a shop that is a hop skip and jump from Honda Point, which is located on Vandenburg Air Force Base. Without going into all the details, it has resided at what was known as "Mussell Fort", which had been located near Santa Maria, California. The Mussel family owned some land and the elder Mr. Mussel built a "ghost town" on his vast property with a number of outbuilding. He and his wife travelled the California coast, as well as around the US, picking up antiques and historical items to display at his "ghost town." Apparently the "ghost town" was a local well kept secret. The Mussel family eventually all passed away. I will post some pictures of the life ring and its condition... remember its almost 100 years old! I have reviewed some pictures of some of the other items that were at one time located there... I will be making another long drive in hopes of hopefully obtaining some of them.

that's the very definition of "unique" artifact. Excellent!

Like Salvage Sailor said, seems like a quality glass case would be a fine choice for displaying this treasure.

Direct sunlight, as you know, would be a killer.

Thanks for sharing!

Terry

that's the very definition of "unique" artifact. Excellent!

Like Salvage Sailor said, seems like a quality glass case would be a fine choice for displaying this treasure.

Direct sunlight, as you know, would be a killer.

Thanks for sharing!

Terry

Thanks Terry! I wil definitley keep it out of the sun for sure. I plan to shop around for a case, or perhaps take the task on myself.

Glad to see you went back and grabbed it. And amazing artifact.

Thanks Mikie. IF I was smart, I would have picked it up when I first saw it. However, I figured I should do my homework first. Certainly well worth the drive back.