D-Day Helmet/Misc ETO display

Hello all, my local Michael’s was having a sale on displays and I decided to pick up a little something for one of the more valuable helmets in my collection. You can find the larger post on it under the helmets tab but long story short, the owner was assigned SHAEF and was an important component in planning the Normandy invasions. As such I decided to make a little invasion related display for the helmet. The sand I actually picked up at this years D-Day Conneaut event, the miniatures I’ve had in my closet for years, and the field obstacles I made out of old electrical wire and Kroger ties. The lighting isn’t wanting to work with my camera so hopefully the pictures work okay. As always, it looks better in person.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The actual stand is an old 20mm round I drilled into, adding some adjustable baling wire to hold it up. Don’t worry, I put a thick cloth between the wires and the helmet and fixed it to ensure no stress got to the liner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

GEN. David R. Atchinson- MO State Guard              ACW

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

PVT. Henry E. Thomas- Co. I, 17th Ky IR                  ACW

PVT. Joseph E. Drury- Co. E, 356th IR, 89th ID       WWI                WIA

SGT. Edward P. Drury- 51st QM Training Co.           WWII

PFC. Delmer C. Koonter- Co. I, 142nd IR, 36th ID    WWII              WIA

SC3c Michael C. Drury- LCS (L) (3) 70                     WWII

SGT. Steven D. Koonter- 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div         Vietnam

SGT. John M. Drury- 227th AVN Bn. 1st Cav Div     Vietnam

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

It is currently the centerpiece of a misc ETO display I threw together. Currently everything is a bit crazy in the house and I wanted to at least keep some things on display.

The majority of the items are local pieces so I guess you could call that my focus. Because of this the display seems a bit random but I kind of like the variety of items on display. The books in the middle contain research on my g grandfather’s service with the 36th and the other is a compilation of photos and records relating to all of the named items in my collection.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To cover the bottom I placed a riker mount of my g grandfather’s bring backs that couldn’t fit in the display I made for him. Also a small local Submarine grouping.

Posted Image

Posted Image

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

Always nice to see a Quartermaster warrior's gear displayed very well. Enjoy having this in your collection. Very nice work!

WANTED: I collect materials of any age related to the US Army Quartermaster Corps and from the long-defunct Commissary / Subsistence Corps. Anything goes and it doesn't have to be identified to a vet. If it's weird or unusual, please PM me! ASMIC #5650

Very nice display.  I like those cases, that's a very clever way of displaying the helmet.

Thanks to everyone, but yeah I noticed them on the shelf as being advertised to display football helmets. The thing is they are the perfect size to make floating military helmet displays. They even have the mirror on the back which is great for showing the opposite side.

• 8 months later...