General Hunter Harris behind the glass

dskjl

It looks like the pins are still in place but it's hard to tell. I like the framing as it seems it's been that way for quite some time so I hate to tamper. I'm also concerned about the fading and stretching of the ribbons.

Leave it alone?

Remove the medals from backing and get them out of the light and hanging from the ribbons?

I'm swaying towards leaving them alone but looking for input.

Thoughts?

I would either remove them and mount them in a frame like the kind sold by Ruddles Mills http://www.ruddlesmills.com/woodendisplay.html in order take the stress off the ribbons, or if you leave them in that frame, display it flat so as to destress the ribbons. Proper long term storage would necessitate going and ensuring everything touching the medals and ribbons are acid free, etc., as well (I know someone will mention it!) :D

CNY Militaria

I agree with Dave! Just changing the frame and/or method of hanging will save the stretching of the ribbons over time.

Thanks guys, i hate to remove them but agree that hanging them on a wall like they are will do more harm than good.

Thanks again.

Hey anybody know where i can find a timeline for the General's promotions and awards?

WOW, very nice group! Even after being exposed to the Hawaiian climate, they look good. I've seen what that Hawaiian salt air, humidity , and sun can do to medals and paper.

Kurt

Medal update:

the Air Force Distinguished Service Medal;

Silver Star;

Legion of Merit;

Distinguished Flying Crosswith oak leaf cluster;

Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters;

Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster;

Purple Heart;

Distinguished Unit Citation;

French Croix de Guerre with Palm;

British Distinguished Flying Cross;

Thai Order of the White Elephant1st class

Chinese Order of the Cloud and Banner;

Korean Order of National Security Merit 1st type 1st Class as awarded from 1957 - 1964

Korean Order of Military Merit, Taeguk Cordon.

Silver Star

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Colonel (Air Corps) Hunter Harris, Jr. (ASN: 0-18808), United States Army Air Forces, for gallantry in action as Commanding Officer of the 13th Combat Wing, EIGHTH Air Force, while participating in three heavy bombardment missions over Germany during the period from 3 October to 17 October 1944. As Commanding Officer of a Combat Wing, Colonel Harris led his units against heavily defended targets, deep in enemy territory, maintaining perfect air discipline despite adverse weather and fierce opposition. About two minutes before "bombs away" on the mission dispatched 17 October 1944, a direct flak burst seriously damaged his aircraft. With the navigator killed, and the pilot, bombardier and top turret gunner severely wounded, Colonel Harris, also wounded, remained cool. He assisted the pilot in regaining control of the aircraft which had gone into a spin. Flying without instruments, he headed the crippled bomber out of enemy territory, and after successfully eluding a jet-propelled fighter, made a safe landing at a friendly base. Colonel Harris' courage, devotion to duty, and combat leadership on each of these missions were an inspiration to all serving under his command.

DFC

Colonel (Air Corps) Hunter Harris, Jr. (ASN: 0-18808), United States Army Air Forces, was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight while serving with the EIGHTH Air Force, during World War II. The skillful and zealous manner in which he has sought out the enemy and destroyed him, his devotion to duty and courage under all conditions serve as an inspiration to his fellow flyers. His actions on all these occasions reflect the highest credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of the United States.

I dont usually mess with stuff but the sun fading on this ribbon was really bugging me. The back of the ribbon was bright and fresh so i took the ribbon off and flipped it back to front.

Since i;m one of those that usually suggest leaving things alone, feel free to take some jabs.

This was the Front now its the back.

post-8016-0-65467100-1535758708_thumb.jpg

post-8016-0-62095900-1535758759_thumb.jpg

Looks 10 x better, and it is still the original ribbon. While you are at it, you may want to get a better glass to prevent future fading.

Looks 10 x better, and it is still the original ribbon. While you are at it, you may want to get a better glass to prevent future fading.

Thanks, it's always dicey when making changes to original pieces, i tend not to but in this case i thought it was an improvement that most would find acceptable.

• 1 month later...