Two Nonmilitary WW II era style Dog Tags with Female Names

historyfinder

historyfinder

The person I bought thses from said they were WAC dog tags. They don't appear to be military originated or issued. I tried researching the names but didn't have any luck. Any ideas on what they are?

historyfinder

I wasn't successful posting my query about two female dog tags. The pictures didn't upload and I coldn't figure out how to edit or remove my orginal post. So, since my first post is still visible, I thought I would try to describe the dog tags and then take a second shot at uploading pictures, The dog tags are a WW II era military style with a notched edge. They are both together on a typical military style chain. One says, " Griggs, Shirley-374 Hefflin Ave.-Phone 1306 M.-Lebanon, Missouri." The other says, Wanda Presley-Crocker, Missouri-Phone72-J." I'll try to upload an image again.

They sound like "next of kin" dog tags and not WAC dog tags.

Also, there are threads on here about how to reduce the size of pictures for uploading.

Kat

Could also be a depenant/wife type of tag.

Next of kin typically has the soldiers name and serial number/blood type etc with the NOK info below the standard info.

Definitely not NOK tags based on the description. Dependent tags would usually say "US National" if deployed, or "Dependent". Very possible they were kids send-away tags. Popular during WWII, kids could send off their info and get a set of tags in the mail. I have one such set.

army base dependent tags often will have their 'sponsor' (spouse/father) names and would state DEPENDENT/US NATIONAL etc.

a form of ID which allowed them access to the base.

depending on how 'beat' those tags are...

in some uncommon cases....when QM reg did away w/ NOK address mid -1943 & went to simple 2-line format...some GIs were loathed to

have an unknown NOK address....and made their own which were worn along with their overseas deploy tags....

i've had a very examples of this practice.