Wow - A WW I, 2nd Division "Show Pony"

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I can't believe that I stumbled upon another photograph of Verdun the mule, but I did!

This 8 X 10 of Verdun, shows her wearing a post-WW I shabraque, which displays the insignia of the 15th Artillery Regiment.

The black photo album paper on which this photo is mounted bears the caption: "Fort Sam Houston, Texas ... Born in France Now Withe the 15th F.A."

post-5143-0-43477900-1584825475_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
trenchfighter

Great picture, thanks for sharing!  I enjoy collecting WWI 2nd Division items, but they have become quite expensive over time.

mars&thunder

Here's another picture of Verdun from "E Battery Goes to War" by Cone (the individual standing next to Verdun in the photo). The history does not include any details on Verdun that I could see beyond the photo.

VerdunMule.jpg.02dbd0fb3c32c641867afdf8b9128926.jpg

Thanks! I now have the word "shabraque" added to my vocabulary. My new thing learned for the day. Think I will take a well earned nap the rest of the day.

world war I nerd

Mars and thunder, thanks! Another shot of Verdun wearing another "shabraque".

Mikie, you can thank Wickopedia for the following:

"Shabrack or Shabraque (Turkish: çaprak) is a saddlecloth, formerly used by European light cavalry. The shabraque was an accoutrement of the hussar cavalry, based on the Hungarian horsemen in Austrian service who were widely imitated in European armies in the 18th and 19th centuries."