*Help with a compass & Pouch*

Pinmaster

25+ years ago my grandfather gave me a compass that he "used in the army". I have been studying up on somethings that he left behind. He was in the 507th PIR as a paratrooper. I have searched this site and the compass in question may be an "early" Gurley. There are no marks anywhere on the case of the compass. The odd thing is the pouch that he gave me with the compass. The pouch does not have the "hooks" that I have seen in other threads. This pouch just has a "belt loop" on the rear of the pouch. Other than the hook it looks just like the others down to the zipper and chain.

Any opinions on the compass and is this is the original pouch or not?

Thanks

3079025128_4b6acec528_o.jpg

3078193997_d72a2f82f0_o.jpg

3078193641_8b054c8c31_o.jpg

You are correct.The compass is a early one and it is normal for it to not have the markings.The pouch looks good to me.I dont think I have seen a cleaner example.Very nice.I have no idea why there is no wire hanger.

RON

Simply someone unstitched the hook carrier. You can still see the holes of the needle above the belt loop. You can look after a 1942 canteen carrier or first aid puch and recover missing piece then find a gentle women who can professionally trim and stitch the hook assy. I know it's not too much correct but at least none will suffer watching a nice and rare piece mutilated this way. In the pic the back of my pouch.

post-67-1228293634.jpg

Thanks for the tips Artu44. If my grandfather were still living I'd ask him about removing the hook's and why he done it LOL. I'm sure he'd have a "good" reason. My dad tells me that he has another compass (much smaller) that my grandfatehr gave him. I have not seen it yet..However, my dad tells me that when it was given to him he was told that it was the compass that paratroopers (my grandfather) used on jumps. It may be a wrist compass or pocket compass (I'm not sure)... I will post it here when I get to see it.

I will probally leave it as is unless I can find the hook carrier that looks of the smae era as the pouch. So "as is" with the missing piece is it ruined?

Any idea what the pouches with the hook carreir already attached sell for? I may try to find a whole pouch and just save the one that was given to me.

I use to play with this thing outdoors as a child so I'm glad that it survived that abuse.

If you can find a piece of material the same color and a hook you can take artu44s picture to a shoe shop or even some laundrys and they can reproduce the hanger for you. I've had my local shoe shop do this kind repair several times.

If you can find a piece of material the same color and a hook you can take artu44s picture to a shoe shop or even some laundrys and they can reproduce the hanger for you. I've had my local shoe shop do this kind repair several times.

Great suggestion Cherokee tj. I will start looking for the carrier hook piece and material. If i would have known I would have looked at the Military collectors show that I went to last weekend. The show will happen again in April '09 so I will be sure to go to the show and look.

Thanks

MikeW

If this was mine, considering the family origin, I would be in no hurry to "restore" it. I suspect he preferred to attach it to his gear some other way than hooking it on his belt. He may have threaded one of his suspenders through it so it hung horizontally, yet was still secure using he zipper to prevent loss of the compas. If he did this (or somewhere else) the hook would have been unnecessary and in the way.

G

Just my thoughts. If bought for your collection I would restore it, But since its passed down family and probably something your grandfather did. So maybe he could carry it in a pocket etc. I wouldn't touch it

I agree with not altering it back to original, looks like something your grandfather did / field modification, he probably use to wear it on his combat suspenders for easy access, or possibly strapped on his sleeve or other gear.

you could always buy another pouch for display, but you can never replace the pouch that your grandfather actually carried / used, so it's best to leave the way you got it.

So "as is" with the missing piece is it ruined?

Absolutely not -- this is the way your grandfather used it! I wouldn't even think of "restoring" it.

Bill

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys...

I may find another pouch for display only... but this one will stay as is. I was talking to my dad about it today. He seems to think that his dad must/may have strapped it to himself without the carrier hook. The pouch has been as it sits since we both can remember. I have never noticed the needle holes but now that I know where to look, I see them clearly.

I asked dad about the "other compass" and seems it may not be my grandfathers... but sounds like my great grandfathers WWI compass. I may have crossed my stories up a bit it seems.

I will get pics of it this weekend when dad and I go to the civil war show that is in town this weekend.

My dad tells me that he has another compass (much smaller) that my grandfatehr gave him. I have not seen it yet..However, my dad tells me that when it was given to him he was told that it was the compass that paratroopers (my grandfather) used on jumps. It may be a wrist compass or pocket compass (I'm not sure)... I will post it here when I get to see it.

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_compass_wrist.php

"Compass, Wrist, Liquid-filled" issued to paratroopers in World War II.