WW I Patriotic & Propaganda Postcards

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another French postcard in the series titled: "The Sammies in Paris" by an artist using the nom de guerre of Jean Tam or Jean Jam. See post number 37 for the first "Sammies in Paris" example.

I find this card rather interesting as it depicts the arrival in Paris of two infant Sammies, which was the nickname first bestowed on the American soldiers, by the French, upon their arrival in France.

I'm guessing that the Sammies are depicted as babies because the extent of their knowledge in regard to trench warfare, was like that of an infants when compared to that of the French Army. The woman likely represents the nation of France (or its military), who will look after the newborn babies until they are able to fend for themselves in the trenches of the Western Front.

post-5143-0-95575700-1537636570_thumb.jpg

Another series of French postcards, also by the artist Xavier Sanger, titled: "Le Drapeau: Allies" features the flags of the Allied nations, on to which soldiers from that nation's army were superimposed.

All of the cards in this series I've seen so far (America, France, Belgium & Italy), show a realistic representation of the various nations uniforms and equipment, except that of the American Army, as shown here, which is a complete fantasy. Still it's a neat postcard though.

There must have been a rush to finish the artwork and get the cards printed, leaving little or no time to adequately research what was actually worn by America's service men.

Anyway, last card for today … if these are getting boring or repetitive, please let me know and I'll stop adding to this thread.

Regardless, thanks for continuing to look.

post-5143-0-68509800-1537637905_thumb.jpg

Looking at post #193, its a reminder that Paris in 1917 had a very well developed decades old industry around fashion illustration for magazines, catalogs and posters. This is a reflection of that.

You might find the book "Paris at the End of the World: The City of Light During the Great War, 1914 to 1918". It describes the culture that continued during the war years, including fashion. Given that it was Paris, some of it was a bit odd and over the top.

For example, if I recall correctly the book mentions how the women and some men adopted "military fashions"... clothing that took design elements from military uniforms. It got so bad that many people could not distinguish some of the wearers of these fashion items from actual military personnel. You have to remember that within the city you had soldiers from every Allied Nation roaming about.

Keep posting. These are quite the window into the popular culture of the time. I don't know if you noticed, but this thread has at present 1,667 views... so there seems to be some interest in the subject among our members.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Gil, regarding Paris & fashion, etc. that's a very astute observation. The artist of that postcard (and so many other postcards), Xavier Sanger, an Austrian who'd emigrated to Paris in the late 1800's, specialized in fashion & female illustrations. During the war he designed numerous patriotic postcards, most of which featured soldiers of France or of the Allied nations, as well as fashionable women in (and out) of their clothing.

Anyway, here are a few more WW I era U.S.A. themed postcards …

1916 dated YMCA Hut DIY postcard

post-5143-0-51094500-1538159625_thumb.jpg