WW I Patriotic & Propaganda Postcards

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beans, the ever-present Army chow.

Just did a WWI presentation at Bishop Hill, Illinois to honor their local WWI veterans. They were showing the usual helmets, uniforms, souvenirs, etc. from the local guys, but I was invited to come do a display for them, along with a gentleman who does a fine British display. I wanted to take something the visitors probably would not see anywhere else, so I decided to take my food display. I have rations and mess tins for all the major combatants. My mess tins are filled with fake food made for me by a gal out in Arizona, and the tinned food was modern cans with repro labels on them. One of my US mess kits is filled with the ever popular "Stars and Stripes" meal (baked beans with bacon strips). I displayed this particular postcard along with the tins. A couple ladies actually asked me if the soldiers were really fed that big a pile of beans for their meals. I was surprised at how many guys told me as they looked things over how frequently they had been fed beans when they did their service time (the only beans I can remember getting often were those disgusting Ham and Lima Beans C Rats in "Nam, or as some of you may recall, Ham and "Motherf…..s"). MHJ

Willy, your WW I food display sounds pretty interesting. Did you take any photos? If so, It'd be great to see them. I've always had an interest in AEF rations. As it turns out, it's a difficult subject to find solid information on, let alone period photos. One of my side projects is trying to work out the various brands of canned food sent to France for Doughboy consumption … Maybe you know some that I don't?

I'd never come across any period references for "Stars & Stripes", do you recall where you heard about that one? … I have, however, heard of "Ham & Motherf...s though! During the Civil War, I believe that beans were called "Repeaters".

While not the same as post cards, the National WWI Museum in Kansas City has a selection of hand drawn envelopes that were mailed from stateside training camps and overseas.

aa5.jpg

aa5b.jpg

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Willy, your WW I food display sounds pretty interesting. Did you take any photos? If so, It'd be great to see them. I've always had an interest in AEF rations. As it turns out, it's a difficult subject to find solid information on, let alone period photos. One of my side projects is trying to work out the various brands of canned food sent to France for Doughboy consumption … Maybe you know some that I don't?

I'd never come across any period references for "Stars & Stripes", do you recall where you heard about that one? … I have, however, heard of "Ham & Motherf...s though! During the Civil War, I believe that beans were called "Repeaters".

The "Stars and Stripes" name came from a couple local veterans many years ago. I liked it and remembered it when I put my food display together. I also had "Slum" (beef stew) and US Navy "Paint and Worms" (spaghetti and tomato sauce) in the display. My wife did take some photos, so if they turn out good I will try to get them to you. A gentleman from England, Geoff Carefoot, has a website called "Tommy's Pack Fillers" on which he offers an amazing array of reproduction food labels from the WWI period (and earlier). I have used quite a few of his labels on my modern canned goods. They do make a good display. A number of my food tins have labels on them from companies that are now out of business. I wish I had made copies before I glued them on the cans. Check out Geoff's site. And don't be afraid to ask him questions. He has been very helpfull to me over the years. FYI - the term "Repeaters" was still in common use in WWI. MHJ

I see the Bishop Hill folks have posted a few photos of my layout on their website. Not the closest shots of the food, but you can get a general idea of the presentation. They have mixed in other displays along with mine, so be advised. If you care to have a look, go to:

https://bishophillheritage.org/2018-bishop-hill-chautauqua-8-25-2018

MHJ