WW I Patriotic & Propaganda Postcards

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice, ATB, have you seen any others? It would be great to see some more … If they exist.

Thanks for posting!

No. Those two are the only ones I've seem so far.

Wow! I just went through this thread. They sure made enough of them, didn't they?

I think the variation in styles is interesting. Some of these are so overly sentimental they are worthy of the Victorians. Others are fairly realistic, especially the European made ones. And others still use various forms of comic book art.

It's also interesting how naive some of these and designs were about the nature and dangers of war the troops and sailors were going to face. I sometimes wonder with the overly cheery images that were sent back home, if it didn't later contribute to the disillusionment of the troops when they got back home and tried to tell what really happened.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I went and checked out the shop with lots of postcards. Sadly, there wasn't much in the way of WWI cards. I did find this series of cards produced in 1909 that illustrated amusing takes on some army terminology. though not WWI, I hope you don't mind me putting them here.

Between Two Fires...

post-2687-0-46581100-1535469602.jpg

In the Power of the Enemy...

post-2687-0-42300100-1535469641.jpg

Powder Charge...

post-2687-0-21931100-1535469732.jpg

A Misfire...

post-2687-0-79940900-1535469768.jpg

The cards were priced at $12 each, which seemed a bit high, so I did not buy them. Sorry for the poor photos.

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

The shop also had these two cards with sailors. Not sure but I think these are pre-war also.

post-2687-0-65418100-1535469971.jpg

post-2687-0-25371600-1535469994_thumb.jpg

Well, that's it for me. Hope you got a chuckle or two from these.

Love to see some more cards.

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Brooke, thanks for adding your two cents. I like the 4th Div. patch. I totally forgot about the postcards showing some of the AEF's shoulder insignia! I'll have to see if I can track down some of those. I think I may have some squirreled away in my AEF shoulder patch files.

Gil, thanks for looking and commenting. It seems that as soon as I start thinking I've found all the interesting postcards, a whole new batch of never before seen designs turn up. So yes, you're right, the types, themes, styles and artists do seem endless.

Kurt, your posting of "other side of the pond" postcards is much appreciated. The pair of British made, Yank themed cards are the first that I've seen from that nation. Surely, there must be more out there.

Mikie, thanks also for trekking out to your local postcard shop and snapping a few pics and posting them. Corny soldier, sailor & women postcards featuring risqué double entendres of military jargon were indeed popular themes both before and during WW I, and likely afterwards as well.

1910 postmarked Army patriotic postcard that was printed in Germany.

Apparently, the majority of pre WW I American postcards were printed in Germany because their printing presses were considered to be superior to those made in the U.S. Of course, when America declared war in April of 1917, the flow of postcards printed in Germany ceased for obvious reasons.

post-5143-0-60404000-1535749685_thumb.jpg

A French made card displaying a portrait of General Pershing painted by J.F. Bouchor, the official painter of the French Army.

Bouchor, painted a number of similar portraits of high ranking AEF officers and, I believe, most of the AEF, Air Service "Aces" I wonder if any of his other AEF portraits appeared in postcard form?

post-5143-0-22439300-1535750308_thumb.jpg

I believe it was Napoleon who said an "Army travels on its stomach." During the Great War, things were pretty much the same. The topic of Army (and sometimes Navy) chow frequently appeared on wartime postcards.

By the way, the term "Chow" dates back to the building of railroad spanning the continent from east to west. It was a shortened cowboy/Western reference to the Chinese noodle dish Chow Mein that was eaten by the Chinese laborers that laid the tracks for the "iron horse".

post-5143-0-85198100-1535750715_thumb.jpg

I think some captured German officer mused, while being interrogated that: "the French were in the war for there country … the British were in the war for glory … and America was in the war for souvenirs."

To that end here are a few "souvenir" themed cards. The first being a sailor promising to bring back a U-boat periscope.

post-5143-0-12595400-1535751524_thumb.jpg