WW I Patriotic & Propaganda Postcards

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This 1910 dated hand-colored postcard is also part of an unnamed series that revolves around cigarettes and the smoke emitted by cigarettes. Apparently, cards from this series were manufactured in black on white, and also hand-colored.

Absent.jpg

4 hours ago, world war I nerd said:

This postcard, "A Soldier's Dream", is part of a newly discovered series, which has no title.

Soldier's-Dream.jpg

A newly discovered series? Well that should keep you busy for a while! 

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Lady Liberty waving the U.S. flag from the six card French series titled "Jour de Triomphe", which translates in to "Day of Triumph".

The other five cards depict each Allied nation's (France, England, Belgium, Russia, Italy) version of Lady Liberty waving their national flag.

Jour-de-Triomphe-Amerique.jpg

Another newly discovered series! I posted one from this series back somewhere near the beginning. Recently I picked up three more from the "Tips for the Kaiser" series. I'm guessing it's composed of six designs. This example shows an unflattering caricature of Kaiser Wilhelm I as the organ grinder with Germany's Crown Prince Wilhelm of Prussia as the monkey, and the American Doughboy is, of course, calling the tune!

Star-Spangled-Nanner.jpg

The thought occurred to me as I was looking at your latest batch, it seems that these cards often came in a series of 12.

I am wondering if that may have been due to how they were printed.  Like dollar bills, I can imagine they may have been printed four, eight or twelve to a sheet, and then cut.

12 may have been the ideal number for the production process for whatever sized sheet they were printed on.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Gil, that thought never occurred to me, but you're probably right. Series comprised of six, twelve and twenty-four cards seem to be the norm ... Three, four and six being the common denominators.

What I'd really like to know is the quantity of cards (of any design) that were printed during the initial run ... thousands - tens of thousands - more than that? Also, were some designs popular enough to warrant a second or third printing?

Another example of what seems to be a series made up of a zillion French postcard designs featuring a faux American soldier look-a-like. The "Yank" imposter is wearing a British army service jacket and a New Zealand army "Lemon Squeezer" hat.

Best-Wishes.jpg