• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WW I Patriotic & Propaganda Postcards

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This particular series is titled "The Girl on the Job". It's made up of twelve designs. So far, I've only encountered two of those designs, both of which I've posted (the other one, posted some months ago, depicted a woman as a police officer). I'm really looking forward to discovering the remaining ten designs, hopefully, in the not too distant future.

post-5143-0-10324100-1583018843_thumb.jpg

I've no idea what nation is responsible for this WW I era Statue of Liberty postcard, because the reverse has the word "postcard" or the equivalent thereof written in no less than 16 languages!

That eagle reminds me of the style used in Poland or Austria.

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

This offering is from the twenty-four design series titled, "Soldier Pennants". Ive probably posted at least eight postcards or so from this series already.

Sent

I just saw one of these this morning poking around an antique shop. $12 was more than I wanted to pay. And I forgot to take a picture of it. I'll try to get back there and take another look at it.

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Regarding #997: Nothing says romance more than holding hands over a cannon.

Regarding #1002: While the sentiment about women munitions workers is admirable, the card is a bit glamorized for the role if not downright risque for the times.

Most of the photos I've seen of WWI women munitions workers shows them dressed in very practical attire. This example I believe is from the UK.

It maybe that the concept of proper women working in a munitions plant was difficult for many people to have comprehended... or it maybe it was just supposed to be a morale booster for the boys at the front.

Regardless, please keep these cards coming!

WWI Munitions.jpg

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the "Our Flag - Your Flag" series. No idea about how many different patriotic slogans adorn the same American flag motif that appears on the four or five of these cards that I presently have. Most of which have already been posted.

post-5143-0-97358800-1584891823_thumb.jpg

No title for this series, nor known quantity of designs. This January, 1918 dated postcard, however, is the fourth or fifth card, all designed by the same hand, and in the same color scheme, That's been posted in this topic.

post-5143-0-83031300-1584892394_thumb.jpg