WW I Patriotic & Propaganda Postcards

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh good, got my periodic dose of these cards. I may not always have a useful comment, but do enjoy seeing them. Since it is Thanksgiving weekend, just thought I'd say Thanks for your efforts documenting them for us.

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

This unusual, both in design and content, depicts an American soldier promising that he will be true to his girl while away overseas.

Yeah, this one is pretty different. Any idea who made it?

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Mikie, you're welcome. I'm happy to share. I'm still amazed at how many of these things were made. Probably on average, I see at least five new ones every week on eBay alone! Right now, there are 14 patriotic postcards currently in the mail on their way to me. Plus, there's also around 21 listings on eBay I'm considering bidding on. So I guess what I'm saying is that there's still plenty of them out there.

There's no ID as to the company that made that weird postcard. Judging by the card's reverse, it looks to have been made in the U.S. It also bears a January 1917 or 1918 (the last numeral of the year is illegible) U.S. postmark from Harriso(n?), Ohio. So far. I've never seen any other U.S. made postcards like that one. it's most singular!

I missed out on these last week. An interesting window into the early 1900's.

A couple notes for you:

On post #895, "President Wilson and Humanity are protesting the subject of Acona."

According to Wikipedia: On 23 May 1915, Italy entered World War I and joined the Entente Powers. In 1915, following Italy's entry, the battleship division of the Austro-Hungarian Navy carried out extensive bombardments causing great damage to all installations and killing several dozen people.[14] Ancona was one of the most important Italian ports on the Adriatic Sea during the Great War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancona#Contemporary_history

The lower text is roughly, "Quickly, get my "writing machine" (typewriter?) It is necessary that I write another document." It's hard to tell if the cartoon is mocking Wilson for not taking more substantive action, or if it praising him for protesting the bombardment. Those look to be other documents floating behind him, possibly about other outrages and incidents.

On post #897:

I think that might be British. Note the use of the terms "Boches" and "bloomin Huns".

On post #886:

Join the Navy and see the World. Pretty much the same recruiting pitch used today. I like the details referring to Japan, China and Manila Bay. That is a huge ship behind him.

And finally, post #887:

Sailors in port, and young ladies on the beach... things never change. Notice the young ladies are averting their gaze!

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to more.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The next five postcards all feature Uncle Sam, as envisioned by various artists from France, Italy, England and the USA.

This is an American design, which of course is part of an untitled series printed in black and red. Each card in the series depicts America's favorite uncle abusing Germany's Kaiser in one way or another. To my knowledge, I've posted all of the designs that are known to me. Maybe there's more?

post-5143-0-98452900-1577037952_thumb.jpg