WW I Patriotic & Propaganda Postcards

world war I nerd

BILL THE PATCH

A somewhat whimsical take on the 1916 Punitive Expedition into Mexico in search of the bandit Pancho Villa.

I love this one, very comical but gets to the point. Reminds me of the cartoon of popeye produced by max Fleischer. Drawn by elzie segar

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

world war I nerd

Bill, that Punitive postcard is a good one.

There are actually quite a few pre-WW I and WW I patriotic postcards that incorporate artist's renderings of children wearing a variety of Army & Navy uniforms. Many of them are quite well done. I've been tempted to purchase some of them, but so far, I've managed to keep that urge in check.

An interesting card printed in Germany some time in 1919. I wonder if there are any more of these German made postcards depicting AEF, or more accurately, Army of Occupation soldiers?

Here's another from the same series of postcards. Note the GHQ AEF SSI.

post-943-0-47316700-1535226782.jpg

world war I nerd

Very nice, ATB, have you seen any others? It would be great to see some more … If they exist.

Thanks for posting!

Very nice, ATB, have you seen any others? It would be great to see some more … If they exist.

Thanks for posting!

No. Those two are the only ones I've seem so far.

Wow! I just went through this thread. They sure made enough of them, didn't they?

I think the variation in styles is interesting. Some of these are so overly sentimental they are worthy of the Victorians. Others are fairly realistic, especially the European made ones. And others still use various forms of comic book art.

It's also interesting how naive some of these and designs were about the nature and dangers of war the troops and sailors were going to face. I sometimes wonder with the overly cheery images that were sent back home, if it didn't later contribute to the disillusionment of the troops when they got back home and tried to tell what really happened.

This is a card produced in Paris.

post-693-0-43830700-1535450989.jpg

These are two of a group of three produced in London, I have not posted the third as it might be deemed offensive.

post-693-0-77893300-1535451290.jpg

post-693-0-82720100-1535451319.jpg

I went and checked out the shop with lots of postcards. Sadly, there wasn't much in the way of WWI cards. I did find this series of cards produced in 1909 that illustrated amusing takes on some army terminology. though not WWI, I hope you don't mind me putting them here.

Between Two Fires...

post-2687-0-46581100-1535469602.jpg

In the Power of the Enemy...

post-2687-0-42300100-1535469641.jpg

Powder Charge...

post-2687-0-21931100-1535469732.jpg

A Misfire...

post-2687-0-79940900-1535469768.jpg

The cards were priced at $12 each, which seemed a bit high, so I did not buy them. Sorry for the poor photos.

Mikie

The shop also had these two cards with sailors. Not sure but I think these are pre-war also.

post-2687-0-65418100-1535469971.jpg

post-2687-0-25371600-1535469994_thumb.jpg

Well, that's it for me. Hope you got a chuckle or two from these.

Love to see some more cards.

Mikie

world war I nerd

Brooke, thanks for adding your two cents. I like the 4th Div. patch. I totally forgot about the postcards showing some of the AEF's shoulder insignia! I'll have to see if I can track down some of those. I think I may have some squirreled away in my AEF shoulder patch files.

Gil, thanks for looking and commenting. It seems that as soon as I start thinking I've found all the interesting postcards, a whole new batch of never before seen designs turn up. So yes, you're right, the types, themes, styles and artists do seem endless.

Kurt, your posting of "other side of the pond" postcards is much appreciated. The pair of British made, Yank themed cards are the first that I've seen from that nation. Surely, there must be more out there.

Mikie, thanks also for trekking out to your local postcard shop and snapping a few pics and posting them. Corny soldier, sailor & women postcards featuring risqué double entendres of military jargon were indeed popular themes both before and during WW I, and likely afterwards as well.

world war I nerd

I'll add a dozen or so more pre & WW I postcards.

Postmarked 1912, patriotic Navy postcard.

post-5143-0-10421600-1535749504_thumb.jpg

1910 postmarked Army patriotic postcard that was printed in Germany.

Apparently, the majority of pre WW I American postcards were printed in Germany because their printing presses were considered to be superior to those made in the U.S. Of course, when America declared war in April of 1917, the flow of postcards printed in Germany ceased for obvious reasons.

post-5143-0-60404000-1535749685_thumb.jpg

This overly sentimental Navy postcard bears a copyright date of 1907 and an illegible postmark date.

post-5143-0-33232400-1535749915_thumb.jpg

A postcard paying tribute to the "Tin Bonnet" that was adopted for America's Doughboys destined to serve in a combat zone "Over There".

post-5143-0-09842500-1535750001_thumb.jpg

Another Tin Bonnet themed postcard featuring an overly cheerful soldier.

post-5143-0-40192700-1535750084_thumb.jpg

This postcard printed for the AEF in France was a tribute to the hard work done by the men who served overseas in Service of Supply, or S.O.S.

post-5143-0-02027000-1535750180_thumb.jpg

A French made card displaying a portrait of General Pershing painted by J.F. Bouchor, the official painter of the French Army.

Bouchor, painted a number of similar portraits of high ranking AEF officers and, I believe, most of the AEF, Air Service "Aces" I wonder if any of his other AEF portraits appeared in postcard form?

post-5143-0-22439300-1535750308_thumb.jpg

American soldiers and sailors fraternizing with members of the Allied nations was another common WW I postcard theme. Here, a Yank hangs out with a "Tommy" and a "Piolu".

post-5143-0-25185200-1535750584_thumb.jpg

I believe it was Napoleon who said an "Army travels on its stomach." During the Great War, things were pretty much the same. The topic of Army (and sometimes Navy) chow frequently appeared on wartime postcards.

By the way, the term "Chow" dates back to the building of railroad spanning the continent from east to west. It was a shortened cowboy/Western reference to the Chinese noodle dish Chow Mein that was eaten by the Chinese laborers that laid the tracks for the "iron horse".

post-5143-0-85198100-1535750715_thumb.jpg

Beans, the ever-present Army chow.

post-5143-0-88622400-1535751079_thumb.jpg

A courtship card printed for the YMCA. Not sure if the winged infant is supposed was intended to be a martial cherub or a military Cupid.

post-5143-0-23880900-1535751138_thumb.jpg

To date, this 1915 postmarked postcard is the only USMC themed card I've come across. I missed winning this one on eBay by $0.50, but I'm posting the seller's scan anyways.

Does anyone out there have any pre-WW I or WW I USMC postcards to post?

post-5143-0-22043800-1535751371_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

I think some captured German officer mused, while being interrogated that: "the French were in the war for there country … the British were in the war for glory … and America was in the war for souvenirs."

To that end here are a few "souvenir" themed cards. The first being a sailor promising to bring back a U-boat periscope.

post-5143-0-12595400-1535751524_thumb.jpg

And a soldier boasting that he'll bring back the Kaiser on the tip of his bayonet.

post-5143-0-11615900-1535751705_thumb.jpg

Another Doughboys assures one and all that he'll bring back the bacon.

post-5143-0-97887700-1535751795_thumb.jpg

And a sailor promising the same.

post-5143-0-03402300-1535751835_thumb.jpg

Another "going over", err … I mean, an about to go over card featuring an armored car.

post-5143-0-29222300-1535751925_thumb.jpg

Last one for today … A 1917 postmarked Army - Navy card with a space to attach a snapshot of a particular soldier or sailor.

More to come later.

post-5143-0-90841000-1535751952_thumb.jpg

Beans, the ever-present Army chow.

Just did a WWI presentation at Bishop Hill, Illinois to honor their local WWI veterans. They were showing the usual helmets, uniforms, souvenirs, etc. from the local guys, but I was invited to come do a display for them, along with a gentleman who does a fine British display. I wanted to take something the visitors probably would not see anywhere else, so I decided to take my food display. I have rations and mess tins for all the major combatants. My mess tins are filled with fake food made for me by a gal out in Arizona, and the tinned food was modern cans with repro labels on them. One of my US mess kits is filled with the ever popular "Stars and Stripes" meal (baked beans with bacon strips). I displayed this particular postcard along with the tins. A couple ladies actually asked me if the soldiers were really fed that big a pile of beans for their meals. I was surprised at how many guys told me as they looked things over how frequently they had been fed beans when they did their service time (the only beans I can remember getting often were those disgusting Ham and Lima Beans C Rats in "Nam, or as some of you may recall, Ham and "Motherf…..s"). MHJ

world war I nerd

Willy, your WW I food display sounds pretty interesting. Did you take any photos? If so, It'd be great to see them. I've always had an interest in AEF rations. As it turns out, it's a difficult subject to find solid information on, let alone period photos. One of my side projects is trying to work out the various brands of canned food sent to France for Doughboy consumption … Maybe you know some that I don't?

I'd never come across any period references for "Stars & Stripes", do you recall where you heard about that one? … I have, however, heard of "Ham & Motherf...s though! During the Civil War, I believe that beans were called "Repeaters".

world war I nerd

Here's an unusual 1917 dated card introducing the Kaiser to the delights of Hell.

post-5143-0-09096600-1535993990_thumb.jpg

A patriotic to hell with the Kaiser card.

post-5143-0-77775500-1535994133_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

A Japanese made card depicting an aerial view of Vladivostok, Russia, and the flags of the Allied nations that participated in the 1918 Russian intervention.

post-5143-0-60029000-1535994184_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

I totally forgot that I had these two, as they were mixed in with my AEF real picture postcards.

Anyway, a YMCA & Chicago Daily News, "The Boots I Wore in France" card.

post-5143-0-16808700-1535994457_thumb.jpg

Another close up view of the hobnailed field shoes worn by the Doughboys in France … There's also a colorized version of this one too.

post-5143-0-40174600-1535994535_thumb.jpg

While not the same as post cards, the National WWI Museum in Kansas City has a selection of hand drawn envelopes that were mailed from stateside training camps and overseas.

aa5.jpg

aa5b.jpg

Willy, your WW I food display sounds pretty interesting. Did you take any photos? If so, It'd be great to see them. I've always had an interest in AEF rations. As it turns out, it's a difficult subject to find solid information on, let alone period photos. One of my side projects is trying to work out the various brands of canned food sent to France for Doughboy consumption … Maybe you know some that I don't?

I'd never come across any period references for "Stars & Stripes", do you recall where you heard about that one? … I have, however, heard of "Ham & Motherf...s though! During the Civil War, I believe that beans were called "Repeaters".

The "Stars and Stripes" name came from a couple local veterans many years ago. I liked it and remembered it when I put my food display together. I also had "Slum" (beef stew) and US Navy "Paint and Worms" (spaghetti and tomato sauce) in the display. My wife did take some photos, so if they turn out good I will try to get them to you. A gentleman from England, Geoff Carefoot, has a website called "Tommy's Pack Fillers" on which he offers an amazing array of reproduction food labels from the WWI period (and earlier). I have used quite a few of his labels on my modern canned goods. They do make a good display. A number of my food tins have labels on them from companies that are now out of business. I wish I had made copies before I glued them on the cans. Check out Geoff's site. And don't be afraid to ask him questions. He has been very helpfull to me over the years. FYI - the term "Repeaters" was still in common use in WWI. MHJ