Camillus JPK restoration

semperbee

I bought this very early Camillus with screw on pommel to round out my Camillus JPK collection. Now I have all (hopefully) of the Camillus JPKs from the screw on/peened pommel versions thru the last 3/85 pommel stamped one. Anyway this one had damage to the handle, so repair or replacement was needed. After closer inspection, I decided a replacement was needed.

1. Camillus JPK as I got it

post-6774-0-16302200-1534543140_thumb.jpg

4. I was amazed by how much rust was under the handle, I guess due to the leather wicking moisture and what poor design by using such a thin tang considering what the knife was being used for.

post-6774-0-78123800-1534543534_thumb.jpg

5. Tang and small part were put into a citric acid bath to remove the rust. The was some black paint under ll that on the guard and pommel. Weather it was original to the knife or added later I don't know, but I left it place. Now it was ready to ship to Steve S. for the handle replacement.

post-6774-0-97538300-1534543732_thumb.jpg

6. Steve S. sent me a "in progress" photo. He wanted to know if I wanted a new or a darkened/aged look, I choose the later to match the parts.

post-6774-0-48437900-1534543889.jpg

Sundance - I don't know if the angle from the blade to the tang is standard. I looked for stress marks where the tang & blade meet and found none.

That is a beautiful grip. I always liked the Camillus blades because they were made close by me, near Syracuse. Actually there were plenty of well known knife makers in western NY. I remember a TV show several years ago comparing weapons, one of which was a Camillus Mark-2. The host kept calling it a "Calm-a-loose". I imagine folks in Camillus were wondering where he came up with that pronunciation?

I don't know if it's standard, but it's not the first one like this.

post-17422-0-87767500-1534568823.jpeg

Of the two 6 inch knives on the left the lower one is the screw on pommel. It may not be too obvious in the picture, but these are mine and it isn't exactly straight either.

I don't know for sure but I think it is standard. All of my Camillus 6" ones, including the screw tops, have the angle.

Very nice restoration! Steve did a very good job!

post-165606-0-20173400-1534579924_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys! Was fun working with George on this one. Just like with my flight jacket restoration work, I really get to handle a lot of unique pieces that I otherwise wouldn’t get to see.