Schlueter Bales on a McCord Shell?

Frogskin7

Just received an extremely nice matching Hawley and Shell set but what is extremely weird to me is that the bales look different than my other McCord M1. Not sure if I'm right though.

1st Photo is of the M1 Bales in question (lot number is 120B)

2nd Photo is of the M1 Bales on another one of my McCord M1s (lot number 273B)

post-173712-0-34264900-1534453861_thumb.jpeg

post-173712-0-10275100-1534453867_thumb.jpeg

RememberThe5thESB

All fixed bails I've ever seen were McCord, but they always had the flat circle shape-ish feet.

I'm pretty sure the fixed bails were spot welded like the swivels (what I mean is the fixed have very squared off feet while swivel bails have rounded spot welds) maybe your helmet was welded at an improper voltage? Creating slag bubbles that were just painted over in factory, and shipped out? That's the only other thing I could think of other than it being a refurbished shell with new feet that some one put on incorrectly.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

I believe it is typical for earlier McCord fixed bales to have somewhat more rounded bales that do somewhat resemble (look closer to) Schlueter fixed bales.

RememberThe5thESB

Just remembered, my friend has a shell the exact same lot number as yours, 120B. It has the more squared off feet, so I really don't know what to think at this point. (No pictures, and he's too slow to send them. So I can't show an example.) But who knows, anything could happen I suppose.

I have one with a heatstamp 97 that has loops that look a good bit like the one in question. If anything, I'd suggest that out of @ 18 million produced there is going to be some variation.

Page 20 in "The M1 Helmet" by Peter Oosterman shows 3 variations of McCord loops. I think those pics cover the variations you are seeing.

RememberThe5thESB

I think that as stated above variations are in existence.

But now I'm wondering if we could come up with an idea of how these variations occurred (Just for the sake of getting a little more information on the bails, even if not necessary. Speculation of these things is always fun.) But like I also stated earlier, I wonder if a lot of these variations are due to improper or change in the voltage of the spot welder. Low or high, molten steel likes to be a bit tricky.

I think that as stated above variations are in existence.

But now I'm wondering if we could come up with an idea of how these variations occurred (Just for the sake of getting a little more information on the bails, even if not necessary. Speculation of these things is always fun.) But like I also stated earlier, I wonder if a lot of these variations are due to improper or change in the voltage of the spot welder. Low or high, molten steel likes to be a bit tricky.

What I've noticed on the two earlier M1s and their bales is that they are more bent inwards. While on the later 42 dated M1s they are nice and uniformed. Maybe they used a different form of hardness on the steel? Not an expert by Any means.

A bail is in a hay field.

A bail is on a pail.

A loop is what is on an M-1. ;)

McCords had many odd looks to their loops. Remember, this was mass production with multiple hands(not always machines) involved which led to some loops being rounder, squarer, flatter, overheated, underheated...

Hi,

from what I've seen on fixed loops M1, the most rounded loops are Schlueter's, but less rounded ones come on the early McCord's shells and then the square McCord that are considered the "standard".

E