Original M2 flame Thrower - mechanical incendiary device

ArchangelDM

Dean,

Awesome!

Here in the US, they are no longer considered weapons, but rather farm implements, more suited to burning weeds than clearing caves.

It's great that you're going to preserve it as is - that's part of its story. But just think of the fun you could have if you had it repaired...

Its so so tempting !

Thanks Jarhead, if anything changes there will be some videos posted

- Dean

Now THAT would keep the cats in the neighborhood out of the trash!!!!! Great flame thrower in OP, congrats on adding it to your collection. As Scott states, I happen to know an old farmer that has a KW era flamer that he still uses to burn his brush piles in his fields.......it is quite something to see! Can't imagine being on the receiving end of this weapon, or of carrying it into combat!

Thanks Brian

It came from a friend who has one of the best collections I know of, Im very lucky.

I was watching a video of some Japanese in a cave on Okinawa on the receiving end of Old Smokey and its terrifying to watch.

Would love to see one in action on your friends farm

- Dean

Thats a beautiful piece! You sure you dont want to make Old Smokey work again? You would be the coolest kid on your block with a working flamethrower.

Thankyou Marine

There is a beauty in its structure that I just love !

- Dean

Awesome.

I was at one time the caretaker of some 40 reels of 16mm Signal Corps movies.

One had a title that I can't write "Find the J@q Kill the J@q!"...catch my drift?

It was made as a news reel but all it was was death up close.

Besides BAR, 30 Cal and 50 Cal strikes, they also showed numerous island Marine flamethrower attacks with atrocious results.

I cant even imagine being on the receiving end of this, better the bullet if you ask me.

Its a scary concept knowing that the Japanese where still adamant not to give in knowing the Men would be using flamethrowers and grenades to clear caves and tunnels.

Seen lots of footage of the translators asking Japanese Troops to come out of these tunnels and caves, then not budging. the M2 and the grenades get introduced after they would not budge and its Devastating to watch.

- Dean

Hey Mikie

Ive just ordered the mannequin torso and will reinforce and do some trials with it. Your right, it will need a solid platform to sit on

Thanks for the comments

- Dean

Dean,

If the one you ordered has a metal rod for mounting you could always get a weighted outdoor umbrella/parasol base and use that. If the opening in the base is too large for the existing rod use black/galvanized pipe as a sleeve to make up the difference. I mocked up a very heavy display a few years ago and that's the set-up that I used.

Unfortunately I didn't take and pictures.

Killer piece!!!

Dean,

If the one you ordered has a metal rod for mounting you could always get a weighted outdoor umbrella/parasol base and use that. If the opening in the base is too large for the existing rod use black/galvanized pipe as a sleeve to make up the difference. I mocked up a very heavy display a few years ago and that's the set-up that I used.

Unfortunately I didn't take and pictures.

Killer piece!!!

Thanks Plick27

Its a half mannequin and I think Will eventually mount it on a table etc so might even get a wall mounted bracket/hook to take some of the weight of the pack off of the mannequin.

If floor mounted the parasol base is a cracking idea ! And one that would take the weight like you say.

Thanks for that Input and kind comments on the M2

- Dean

Thats a beautiful piece! You sure you dont want to make Old Smokey work again? You would be the coolest kid on your block with a working flamethrower.

That’s Jail time in England

Not a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owen is right

It carrys a 5 year sentence, although a section 5 will allow you to own and operate a flame thrower in the UK.

- Dean

You lucky.....

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Thanks Heptonic

Cleared out a small collection for it, but was lucky enough to come from a friend and a collector. These just dont show up here in the UK.

Im very lucky

- Dean

Screamingeagles101

That’s crazy cool. How many people can say they own a World War 2 Flamethrower

+100 for your man cave

The Super Bowl party is gonna be sick

I’ll get to watch the Packers beat the patriots and check out a Flamethrower during halftime!!!!! ;)

Thats crazy cool. How many people can say they own a World War 2 Flamethrower

+100 for your man cave

The Super Bowl party is gonna be sick

Ill get to watch the Packers beat the patriots and check out a Flamethrower during halftime!!!!! ;)

Thanks Eagles

Good luck for your team in the super bowl !!

- Dean

• 2 months later...

How on earth did I miss this post Dean?! Its sitting in a cherished and deserved collection. Trust it still makes you smile..!

Cheers G

• 2 weeks later...

How on earth did I miss this post Dean?! Its sitting in a cherished and deserved collection. Trust it still makes you smile..!

Cheers G

Thankyou Graham

And thanks to you it is

Smiling as always when I see it, my favourite piece

- Dean