Original M2 flame Thrower - mechanical incendiary device

ArchangelDM

Happy to show the forum my Orogobal M2 flame thrower I picked up from a friend at War and Peace. While you might see a handful of these in the US over in the U.K they are seldom seen.

This thing is a beast, for anyone thats had the pleasure and back ache of holding And wearing one of these they will know my pain.

I found out the hard way by Picking the item up at the show, strapping this weapon of mass destruction to my back and walking all the way to my car (0.7 miles away)

It wasa serious task in 36c heat and I cannot imagine wearing this plus having fuel in the tanks. Then having to wear your combat fatigues and any webbing/holsters you might also need. No wonder the marines hated having this strapped on, even with the pay rise if worn it must have been a daunting thought going in to battle with it.

It came out of Belgium when the original Owner got it, the wand has had a coat of paint but is a period original wand, the rest of the tanks/frame/webbing is all period original.

A friend of mine who works in SFX has offered to make old smokey work again, but they would need to reseal the tanks and make some adjustments on the pressure gauges etc that would make this fully functional but Ive chosen to leave it alone and come to love the almost bullethole like holes in the tanks.

I really love my M2 and even though hes only 1 years old he will inherit one of my most favourite and loved items in my collection.

Hes a lucky Lucky boy

Enjoy the pics and a special Thanyou to G

- Dean

very cool. I usually only see "parts" show up here in the US. Nice to see a complete rig and displayed well.

Thanks Mr Jerry

Ill get a torso to put it on soon for a permanent display

- Dean

very nice - your were the prime target for the japanese if they saw you with this baby on your back - short life span!!

Agreed - this was one of the most feared weapons by the Japanese and rightly so.

Thanks for the kind comments

- Dean

Thanks Mr Jerry

Ill get a torso to put it on soon for a permanent display

- Dean

Cool flamethrower! From your description of carrying it around, I'd recommend getting a heavy duty torso for it.

Mikie

Local guy I know has restored several.

I had found a set of undamaged tanks couple years ago.

Hardest stuff to find is the rear gas grips and the front gun with cone.Many were destroyed and even sold as "space guns" back in the day.I put him in tough with a forum member who made some parts for him.Nice find

Local guy I know has restored several.

I had found a set of undamaged tanks couple years ago.

Hardest stuff to find is the rear gas grips and the front gun with cone.Many were destroyed and even sold as "space guns" back in the day.I put him in tough with a forum member who made some parts for him.Nice find

Cheers Ron -

Im extremely lucky and thankful for this item to be in my collection now.

Dean

Cool flamethrower! From your description of carrying it around, I'd recommend getting a heavy duty torso for it.

Mikie

Hey Mikie

Ive just ordered the mannequin torso and will reinforce and do some trials with it. Your right, it will need a solid platform to sit on

Thanks for the comments

- Dean

Dean,

Awesome!

Here in the US, they are no longer considered weapons, but rather farm implements, more suited to burning weeds than clearing caves.

It's great that you're going to preserve it as is - that's part of its story. But just think of the fun you could have if you had it repaired...

post-106351-0-81681700-1534365442_thumb.jpg

Brian Dentino

Now THAT would keep the cats in the neighborhood out of the trash!!!!! Great flame thrower in OP, congrats on adding it to your collection. As Scott states, I happen to know an old farmer that has a KW era flamer that he still uses to burn his brush piles in his fields.......it is quite something to see! Can't imagine being on the receiving end of this weapon, or of carrying it into combat!

Thats a beautiful piece! You sure you dont want to make Old Smokey work again? You would be the coolest kid on your block with a working flamethrower.

Awesome.

I was at one time the caretaker of some 40 reels of 16mm Signal Corps movies.

One had a title that I can't write "Find the J@q Kill the J@q!"...catch my drift?

It was made as a news reel but all it was was death up close.

Besides BAR, 30 Cal and 50 Cal strikes, they also showed numerous island Marine flamethrower attacks with atrocious results.