Sign in to follow this  
Siamundo

Humorous Korea souvenir- what's up with the moose?

I picked this up this past weekend as it was fairly cheap and a little bit different. It's like one of those souvenir Korean scarves or printed cloths. It has a lot of stuff going on in the picture and I guess one would have to have been in Korea at this time to get some of the references or inside jokes. Not sure of the exact vintage but two of the items in the scene are dated 1950-a sink or maybe a toilet in the lower left corner which is connected to a 'honey' bucket outside "Inspected By Benjo Engineers 5 May 1950" and a book at the foot of the bed - "Moose Maintenance Manual 1950". This brings me to my main question, what is up with the moose references in this scene? The GI is in bed with a moose and there is a sign on the right side which looks like it says "Order Moose Local?? Certi??"

post-2744-0-54348800-1534248048_thumb.jpg

donation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

Im thinking moose is a referance to a Korean "house girl"

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

A Moose was more than just a prostitute, it was a prostitute that was kept on retainer. GIs liked to think of them as their girl friend and would pay them a flat rate to see just them the way men will pay the expenses of a mistress. But they were still prostitutes and saw other people on the side, men (like collectors) like to delude themselves into thinking they have something special when they don't. Most men went into it with their eyes opened and could joke about it as you can see from the picture but some took it quite seriously and ended up marrying them.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

A Moose was more than just a prostitute, it was a prostitute that was kept on retainer. GIs liked to think of them as their girl friend and would pay them a flat rate to see just them the way men will pay the expenses of a mistress. But they were still prostitutes and saw other people on the side, men (like collectors) like to delude themselves into thinking they have something special when they don't. Most men went into it with their eyes opened and could joke about it as you can see from the picture but some took it quite seriously and ended up marrying them.

Yes...house girl,comfort girl,hootch maid etc are alll the same just more generic sounding and more/ more "benefits" :)

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Aha, thank you everyone for verifying that. I had wondered if 'moose' might not be referring to a woman of some type since they were in bed together but I had no idea of what type of woman. I learned something new today :)

donation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif