Can anyone ID this ripcord?

gmblack

Hi all, I am new to the forum. In 1997, I found what appears to be a military ripcord in a wooded part of Franklin Canyon Park, which is about midway between LAX and Burbank airport, both of which had aircraft factories during WWII. This ripcord was buried under an inch or two of soil and pine needles and was found with a metal detector. I will attach photos. Can anyone identify this as to what type parachute it belonged to? Sure wish it could talk! It is a dull gray-green color. On the part of the handle that you grab, it is marked 62C4252 and (W) 70. Where the wire cord attaches to the handle, it is marked -1 and a sideways letter T. The last pin at the end of the wire has a reddish-orange plastic covering. Thanks for any info you can supply. Marty Black.....ah hell, I cannot attach the photos because my file sizes exceed 251K. If anyone thinks they can ID this thing, I can email the photos. I am at [email protected]

phantomfixer

https://www.lifesupportintl.com/products/back-style/parachute-b-20/

The PN 62C4252 is listed for the B-20 backpack parachute, although it is listed as a -2 series

and most likely used on the BA series parachutes ...there are guys on the forum that can tell you more about the rip cord based on the PN you listed...

• 5 years later...

I agree that the ripcord most likely was used with the USAF B-20 non-automatic back parachute assy.  Would have a trapezoidal handle with a cable with 4 pins.  The 70 most

likely is the date of 1970.  Info for 62C4252-1.  The Parachute Manual by Dan Poynter.  Could have also been used by people in the sport parachute industry jumping with

modified assemblies?