Theater made cigarette case w/ original shipping package and papers

chils123

Picked this set up for very cheap. It looks to be a theater made cigarette case with a set of bring back "papers" and the original material it was shipped home in. The set also came with the GI's chevrons and a customs tag from when he came home in November 1945.

Based on the information written on the cigarette case ( N. Africa 9-26-43), and the APO being listed on the package, this likely came through Algiers. The vet was a member of the 36th General Hospital that served in the MTO. I was able to find a bit of extra information on the vet, saying he went on to work as a pharmacist the rest of his life, retiring in 2005 after 55 years.

The set also comes with some papers declaring the item is a "bonafide gift" and qualifies for free shipping to the United States. This was likely before there were really official papers for such things.

Very interesting set overall!

448_1.jpg

448_3.jpg

448_5.jpg

448_7.jpg

448_9.jpg

apo_698.png

es_rubin_1.png

I like the paper trail on this. Very cool. The GI's did not have a lot too spend there money on as far as souvieners go. The locals were making and selling anything to make a buck. Most likley made from leather scraps. I like it! Great post.

Looking at the shipping envelope - with the contents listed on the outside - makes one wonder how much got stolen enroute back home because the description was too enticing?