What Weapon Does This Doughboy Have?

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

I ran across this pic a while ago and found it most interesting. I don't know what the weapon is, but I am guessing that it might be a captured enemy weapon since it does not appear USGI and it is dirty and pretty beat up. It would never pass inspection like that!

Any idea as to what this weapon is?

Doughboy with captured weapon.JPG

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie Flick

Wow. You guys are fast! Good job on correctly identifying this captured weapon as a German Mauser anti-tank rifle. Looks like this one saw a lot of action before the second owner took over.

Thanks for the ID.

Charlie

In the 50's they were for sale in the back of the NRA magazine. I don't remember if it was the American Rifleman back then.

445th Bomb Group

The National Firearms Museum in Fairfax has one of the Mauser anti-tank rifles in their display of WWI weapons. An early "Scout Rifle" is on display in the same case at the right. Its a cool little museum, definitely worth a visit.

post-49147-0-84498000-1534186667_thumb.jpgpost-49147-0-47511700-1534186683_thumb.jpg

For those playing the “Battlefield 1” video game, You can equip a “tank hunter” kit on some of the maps. It contains the Tankgewehr rifle. Especially on the open desert maps, it’s a monster.

For those playing the Battlefield 1 video game, You can equip a tank hunter kit on some of the maps. It contains the Tankgewehr rifle. Especially on the open desert maps, its a monster.

Nailed it !

Yes you can, its an amazing weapon alongside the raider kit

- Dean

With a sawed-off double-barrel shotgun as a secondary weapon. Yikes.

Nailed it !

Yes you can, its an amazing weapon alongside the raider kit

- Dean

With a sawed-off double-barrel shotgun as a secondary weapon. Yikes.

That Class is lethal Blacksmith on any map,

This is the first time Ive seen an actual one in a photo. Its huge

- Dean

To give some perspective on size:

That Class is lethal Blacksmith on any map,

This is the first time Ive seen an actual one in a photo. Its huge

- Dean

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Saw an Amishman peddling one at a swap meet about ten years ago. Weirdest thing I think I've ever witnessed.

If my understand of US law is correct it would legally be a destructive device because it is over 12.7mm (.50 cal).

Garandomatic

I've heard that too. I vaguely also recall there being a potential exception for this weapon due to C&R status, but could be wrong. I've read that a few owners sleeve them to .50 BMG.

The TGewr was removed from the NFA years ago. The 50 cal conversions were done more for shootablity due to 13mm being almost unobtainable. I have never fired my 13 mm TGewr,but have fired one in 50cal. These rifles are a beast to fire, they kick like a mule. But the TGewr can be fun to shoot with a little bit of padding on your shoulder.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

The TGewr was removed from the NFA years ago. The 50 cal conversions were done more for shootablity due to 13mm being almost unobtainable. I have never fired my 13 mm TGewr,but have fired one in 50cal. These rifles are a beast to fire, they kick like a mule. But the TGewr can be fun to shoot with a little bit of padding on your shoulder.

so would that mean it was ruled to have a "sporting purpose" like 12 gauge shotguns or how does that work?

In the case of the T-Gewher it was removed from the NFA as a Curio and Relic, much like how the Broomhandle Mauser and other vintage stocked pistols are not considered Short Barreled Rifles. This means that though these may be part of typical NFA classifications they are exempted because the ATF believes that they are not likely to be used as weapons. Here is a link to the C&R list and Section III lists all firearms that have been removed from the NFA which includes the "German, Model 1918, (WWI) Anti-Tank Rifle (PzAgew 1918), cal. 13.25mm"

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/p-5300-11-firearms-curios-or-relics-listpdf/download

Here is a picture of the example I own, which I hope is ok in the context of the conversation:

post-41109-0-85946100-1534731005_thumb.jpg