My Insignificant WW I & Pre WW I USMC Photo Collection

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Some where along the way since I began collection WW I & pre-WW I photographs of the U.S. Army & AEF I've accumulated a handful of USMC original photographs whose interest range vary from almost to a little bit. Therefore, you won't see any jaw-dropping 2nd Division star & Indian head shots, just images of U.S. Marines doing what they did all around the world and 'Over There' in France during the first two decades of the 20th century.

Feel free to comment on, or ask for closer views on any of the images posted below. Likewise, feel free to post any of your own USMC related photographs that hail from the end of the 19th century up until the end of the First World War.

Thanks for looking, World War I Nerd ...

I'll start off with a French Carte Postale of three unnamed Marines wearing Army issued olive drab service dress. The only insignia present are E,G & A cap Badges, USMC Collar Discs, one USMC Good Conduct Ribbon, a Marksman and Expert Marksman shooting badges.

post-5143-0-26642100-1534029519_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Unidentified Marines wearing khaki cotton summer field dress and what look to be Army issued 1902 pattern Campaign Hats with folded brims and felt reinforced holes in the brim where the hat's tying cord passes through.

post-5143-0-97607400-1534030001_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Postcard of fleet Marines and sailors on the U.S.S. Nebraska dated November 7, 1913, and labeled Vera Cruz, Mexico.

post-5143-0-29295300-1534030205_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

A solo Marine posing for the camera while a curious youngster observes the proceedings, said to be taken in Vera Cruz, Mexico.

post-5143-0-26163300-1534030474_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

The above photo is pre-1910, so I'm pretty sure his campaign cover was Army issue. Anyway, here's a close up of the Army (?) cover as used by the USMC.

post-5143-0-22181000-1534031025.jpg

world war I nerd

U. S. Marines armed with 1917 Enfield Rifles and prisoners somewhere south of the border, presumably in the Caribbean, or Central or South America.

post-5143-0-04136600-1534031408_thumb.jpg