Current engraving Navy MOH

decwriter

johnnyrocket

Thanks DEC for the posting.

The font choice looks very — well, lets just say, (in my opinion) not up to the standards of our nations highest military decoration.

It appears to be machine engraved with typographic character spacing errors. Note the large amount of space between the "N" and the "a" character in the word "Navy".

Most interesting. I believe if I saw this for sale somewhere I would pass because the engraving looks so poor. Its not like anything previously used on MoHs. The style is a little off-putting, to me. I am also not comfortable with each word being capitalized in whatever font style that is.

I am also not too up on abbreviations for navy ratings. SOCS on the top line stands for some like: Special Operations Chief Senior (????) Most confusing.

His MoH certificate is also on line at: http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/moh/slabinski.html Its a PDF file and I wasn't able to convert it for uploading here.

I'm a little surprised the navy would put all of this on line.

aerialbridge

That's sad. I've seen more attractive machine engraving on plastic bowling trophies from last year. Woefully inadequate symbol for the highest valor, but an appropriate symbol for the over-all state of deterioration from the bureaucrats that spend our federal tax dollars and set our priorities.

johnnyrocket

It would be great to actually know the exact protocol (if any) that is in place for the recipient presented/ MoH decoration.

(e.i. the exact word usage, capital letters, abbreviations (if any) line and letter spacing.

There must be a government specification protocol for this procedure.

johnnyrocket

Medal of Honor Ceremony for Britt Slabinski

President Trump presented the Medal of Honor to retired Navy SEAL Britt Slabinski in the White House East Room. He was awarded the military’s highest honor for leading a reconnaissance team against al-Qaeda and attempting to rescue a teammate in Afghanistan in March 2002. Other attendees included White House staff, congressional members, past Medal of Honor recipients, and family and friends of Britt Slabinski.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?446088-1/president-trump-awards-medal-honor-retired-navy-seal

Looks like they dropped it off at Things Remembered. Seriously, it should be hand engraved with traditional fonts. This looks like a cheap job done at the mall....

-Ski

tdogchristy90

I don't mean to poke. And while I agree that the utmost attention should be given to the sacrifice of those that serve, this comes to mind.

I think we're focusing too much on an engraving and not on the real purpose of the mans duty/service. Dale dye would call this a "stitch Nazi" trivial item I think. Again not meant to offend but I think sometimes we as people fail to see the forest through the trees.

I don't mean to poke. And while I agree that the utmost attention should be given to the sacrifice of those that serve, this comes to mind.

I think we're focusing too much on an engraving and not on the real purpose of the mans duty/service. Dale dye would call this a "stitch Nazi" trivial item I think. Again not meant to offend but I think sometimes we as people fail to see the forest through the trees.

To poke back, the extreme edge of service that earns the Medal of Honor deserves better than bowling trophy engraving.

tdogchristy90

To poke back, the extreme edge of service that earns the Medal of Honor deserves better than bowling trophy engraving.

I would agree with that.

Looks like they dropped it off at Things Remembered. Seriously, it should be hand engraved with traditional fonts. This looks like a cheap job done at the mall....

-Ski

Not to laugh. But OMG!! That was a good one.

I also agree

Commenting on the lousy engraving on this Medal of Honor in no way denigrates the heroism the Chief displayed to earn it. It does not, IMHO, fall into the "trivia" area. Actually an examination of the many MOH reverses posted on the Forum show MANY different styles of engraving, some not so attractive. Here we're speaking of a current MOH that appears to have the same quality of engraving as a bowling trophy. The powers that be could have and have done a better job. Bob

Is there, I wonder, even anyone out there who still possess

the skills of artful engraving on such things? This has been discussed here before, and the consensus is that it is a dying, if not dead, skill.

Steve