Invasion armband ??

usryan

craig_pickrall

This is a guess only. I think that flag is one of the type that was stapeled to a small stick and used for several purposes. Kids could wave them at parades or events, they could be desk or table decorations, etc. These flags came in several sizes and some were used as grave markers for national holidays.

I think someone took one of these flags and made an armband from felt and sewed the flag to it.

The big unknown is when and why was it done. It could have been a seller trying to make a quick buck or it could have been a period organization actually using it for some event. Try testing the sewing thread to see if it is cotton or nylon. Test it with a black light to see if it glows.

Those flags were still made in large quantities until 1959. I have about 50 of them in various sizes that came from my Mother In Law. She was a regional commander with the DAR and they used them for events and grave marking.

WWII U.S. AIRBORNE used heavy white Cotton Invasion Armbands; with small light cotton 48 star flags sewn on. Only difference is armband pictured has flag sewn to Felt.

WWII U.S. AIRBORNE used heavy white Cotton Invasion Armbands; with small light cotton 48 star flags sewn on. Only difference is armband pictured has flag sewn to Felt.

And the flag is a different one to the one used here - the flag was the same gauze one that the 82nd used on their M42's in Normandy etc.

Craig has correctly identified what this flag is here.

Cheers,

Glen.

This may not be an Invasion armband, but you may still have something of historical significance.

The item looks well stitched and the material looks to be of an older vintage. And if you found it in France, that makes it all the more interesting.

This may have been a post war item from the European reconstruction. I can imagine something like this being worn to identify an American civillian relief worker, Marshall Plan official, election observer, etc.

I'd keep researching it.